Innovative SoCs for premium DisplayPort 1.2 / HDMI 1.4 displays
A series of five new multimedia monitor SoCs, codenamed Athena, are the first ICs to combine a DisplayPort 1.2 receiver and transmitter, an HDMI 1.4 receiver and a dual DVI receiver. The new products include first-of-their-kind features, such as multi-stream, multi-monitor daisy chain support, patented active video window detection, simple end-user accessible firmware updating, and ST’s industry-leading Faroudja® imaging technology.
The family is made up of:
- STDP9320: WQXGA (2560 x 1600) 60 Hz monitor scaler with multi-monitor display support (daisy-chaining)
- STDP9310: WQXGA (2560 x 1600) 60 Hz monitor scaler
- STDP7320: WUXGA (1920 x 1200) 60 Hz monitor scaler with multi-monitor display support (daisy-chaining)
- STDP7310: WUXGA (1920 x 1200) 60 Hz monitor scaler
The DisplayPort 1.2 receiver/transmitter enables wider bandwidth data – up to 21.6 Gbps – and multi-stream transmission through a single cable for ‘daisy chain’ and ‘tile’ display monitor applications. The HDMI 1.4 receiver supports all mandatory 3D input formats defined by the HDMI 1.4 specifications. Monitor firmware upgrading is made easy for consumers with the patented EZ-FUN (Easy Firmware Upgrade Network) feature, accessed via a simplified On-Screen Display (OSD) menu.
The Athena SoC family provides additional digital-video and audio connectivity, such as dual Digital Visual Interface (DVI), analog component, TTL and SPDIF/I2S inputs. Panel interface options are Quad Low-Voltage Differential Signaling (LVDS) and Internal DisplayPort (iDP) or Embedded DisplayPort (eDP) formats.
The new SoCs integrate features for advanced image quality and usability not typically found in this category of product, including:
• Active-Video window detection, which automatically detects and optimizes video embedded within Internet multimedia content and applies the Faroudja Adaptive Contrast Control II (ACC II), Active Color Management-3D (ACM-3D) and Temporal Noise Reduction (TNR), independently from the panel’s main settings;
• Non-Uniformity luminance compensation for excellent flat-field performance;
• Six-axis independent Color Control for correcting or customizing color;
• PiP / PaP (Picture in Picture/Picture and Picture) for watching two different video sources simultaneously, which is a benefit of having two integrated independent video processors