STMCube™ is an STMicroelectronics original initiative to ease developers’ life by reducing development efforts, time and cost. STM32Cube covers STM32 portfolio.
STM32Cube includes the STM32CubeMX which is a graphical software configuration tool that allows generating C initialization code using graphical wizards.
It also comprises the STM32CubeF3 platform composed of the STM32Cube HAL and the low-layer (LL) APIs, plus a consistent set of middleware components (RTOS, USB, FS, graphics and STM32 touch sensing). All embedded software utilities come with a full set of examples running on STMicroelectronics boards.
The STM32Cube HAL is an STM32 embedded software stack that ensures maximized portability across the STM32 portfolio, while the LL APIs make up a fast, light-weight, expert-oriented layer
which is closer to the hardware than the HAL. HAL and LL APIs can be used simultaneously with a few restrictions.
Both the HAL and LL APIs are production-ready and have been developed in compliance with MISRA-C guidelines and ISO/TS 16949. On top of that, ST specific validation processes add a deeper-level qualification.
STM32CubeF3 gathers in one single package all the generic embedded software components required to develop an application on STM32F3 microcontrollers. Following STM32Cube initiative, this set of components is highly portable, not only within STM32F3 series but also to other STM32 series. In addition, the low-layer APIs provide an alternative, high-performance, low-footprint solution to the STM32CubeF3 HAL at the cost of portability and simplicity.
STM32CubeF3 is fully compatible with STM32CubeMX code generator that allows generating initialization code. The package includes a low level hardware abstraction layer (HAL) that covers the microcontroller hardware, together with an extensive set of examples running on STMicroelectronics boards. HAL and LL APIs are available in open-source BSD license for user convenience.
- Consistent and complete embedded software offer that frees the user from dependency issues
- Maximized portability between all STM32 series supported by STM32Cube
- More than 80 examples for easy understanding
- High quality HAL using CodeSonar® static analysis tool
- High quality low-layer APIs (LL) using CodeSonar® static analysis tool
- STM32F3-dedicated middleware: USB Device, FatFS, RTOS, Graphics and touch sensing library
- Free user-friendly license terms
- Update mechanism that can be enabled by the user to be notified of new releases