The STEVAL-IHM029V2 is a low-cost universal motor control evaluation board designed for the home appliance market, with particular focus on vacuum cleaners, food processors and power tools. This system features the 20-pin, 8-bit STM8S103F2 microcontroller running at 16 MHz (user-trimmable internal RC clock), featuring 4 KB of Flash memory, a 10-bit A/D converter, 8/16 bit timers, communication interfaces and 640 bytes of E2PROM. The power supply circuitry features the VIPer16L, an off-line converter with an 800 V avalanche-rugged power section, operating at 60 kHz.
The STEVAL-IHM029V2 especially targets vacuum cleaner applications with power up to 900 W and fulfills the requirements of the 2009/125/EC EU directive, applicable starting in September 2017, thanks to the T1235T, a 12 A 800 V high performance Triac. The motor control is based on phase-angle.
In order to limit in-rush current and possible current peaks, the evaluation board features a soft-start routine and a smooth power change function. The board passed the pre-compliance tests for EMC directives IEC 61000-4-4 (burst up to 8 kV) and IEC 61000-4-5 (surge up to 2 kV). In standby mode, the STEVAL-IHM029V2 has an overall power consumption below 300 mW.
- Input voltage range: 90-265 VAC, 50/60 Hz
- 12 VDC / 5 VDC auxiliary power supply based on the VIPer16L in buck converter topology
- Total power consumption below 300 mW in standby mode
- Maximum output power: 1500 W
- 20-pin, 8-bit STM8S103F2 MCU as main controller
- Employs zero-voltage switching (ZVS) to synchronize MCU events with the voltage mains
- Motor driven by T1235T Triac in phase-angle control
- 5 power levels and standby mode selectable by potentiometer
- 5 LEDs to display the power level of the board
- “RUN” LED to indicate the board is functioning
- Standard in-circuit programming connector
- IEC 61000-4-4 pre-compliance test passed (burst up to 8 kV)
- IEC 61000-4-5 pre-compliance test passed (surge up to 2 kV)
- RoHS compliant