The L6472 device, realized in analog mixed signal technology, is an advanced fully integrated solution suitable for driving two-phase bipolar stepper motors with microstepping. It integrates a dual low RDS(on)DMOS full bridge with all of the power switches equipped with an accurate on-chip current sensing circuitry suitable for non dissipative current control and overcurrent protection. Thanks to a new current control, a 1/16 microstepping is achieved through an adaptive decay mode which outperforms traditional implementations. The digital control core can generate user defined motion profiles with acceleration, deceleration, speed or target position, easily programmed through a dedicated register set.
All application commands and data registers, including those used to set analog values (i.e.: current control value, current protection trip point, deadtime, etc.) are sent through a standard 5-Mbit/s SPI.
A very rich set of protections (thermal, low bus voltage, overcurrent) makes the L6472 device “bullet proof”, as required by the most demanding motor control applications.
- Operating voltage: 8 - 45 V
- 7.0 A output peak current (3.0 A r.m.s. )
- Low RDS(on) power MOSFETs
- Programmable speed profile
- Programmable power MOSFET slew rate
- Up to 1/16 microstepping
- Predictive current control with adaptive decay
- Non dissipative current sensing
- SPI interface
- Low quiescent and standby currents
- Programmable non dissipative overcurrent protection on all power MOSFETs
- Two levels of overtemperature protection