The STEVAL-ILH001V1 demonstration board implements a two-stage electronic ballast for 250 W, HID (high-intensity discharge) metal halide lamps.
The ballast features a boost converter (PFC controller) working in fixed OFF-time, and a fullbridge inverter to drive a lamp using a low frequency square wave.
The design of the STEVAL-ILH001V1 takes advantage of STMicroelectronics' very large product portfolio. ST components used in the design include: PFC drivers, an inverter driver microcontroller, auxiliary power supply, voltage reference, logic part, amplifier, comparators, and power devices such as power MOSFETs, IGBTs, and fast diodes.
- Current control during warm-up phase
- Total system efficiency up to 94%
- Input voltage: 90 to 265 Vac, 50 - 60 Hz
- Power factor: ≥ 0.94 at 230 Vac
- POUT : 250 W
- PFC (power factor correction) implemented using the L6562 PFC controller
- Power control during steady state
- Full-bridge for output stage working at low frequency to avoid acoustic resonance