One of the most effective methods to address the growing requirement for lower vehicle emissions and higher energy efficiency is the Hybrid Electric Vehicle.
In series and parallel HEV applications as well as full plug-in Electric Vehicles, a high-voltage battery pack supplies energy to feed primarily the traction system, but additionally the other electrical systems in the car.
Motion and actuation: The propulsion and actuation of the systems on board the vehicle are performed by electric motors. ST is able to propose complete solutions for:-
- Electric traction and energy recovery
- Power steering
- Automated manual transmission;
- Cooling system and other pumps
Power management: The power converter stages that are used to interface the battery with all the electrical systems, require communication capability as well as highly efficient energy-management features.
Thanks to extensive experience in power management for industrial systems and automotive products, ST is able to propose a complete solution to meet the power management requirements in HEV systems.
ST’s key products for HEV applications are:
- 8 and 32-bit Automotive Microcontrollers based on proprietary and Power cores
- One of the industry’s broadest ranges of Power MOSFETs and IGBTs
- Automotive Ultrafast and Schottky rectifiers
- Automotive EEPROM memories
- Automotive Protection devices
- Automotive Voltage Regulators and Power Management system ICs