ST’s H.264 broadcast set-top box processors support MPEG-2 and H.264 decoding and target cost-sensitive set-top boxes from broadcast transmissions in either SD or HD or both. Some device also support hybrid broadcast/IP set-top boxes, allowing internet-streamed content to be viewed.
Some key features include:
- Optional integrated demodulation for economical reduced-BOM set-top box platforms
- Compatibility with virtually all middleware
- Compliance with energy efficiency targets, such as the EU energy directive and EnergyStar Tier 2
- Highly integrated, value-packed MPEG-2 solutions for targeted retail zapper markets
- Top-of-the-line content security features
STiH207 set-top box IC family for price-sensitive markets
The STiH207 family of set-top box application processors is geared to offer a high level of entertainment and content services, while reducing platform costs. Manufactured in 40 nm process technology, the heart of this SoC family is an enhanced processing engine with integrated on-chip features that simplify set-top-box design, enable operators to take advantage of lower-cost memories and meet the latest low-power objectives.
The complete family includes:
- STiH207 supporting 1080p60 decoding, dual HD picture-in-picture and 3DTV MVC, which is pin-to-pin compatible with the products below
- STiH237 with integrated DVB-S2 demodulator for satellite zapper boxes
- STiH239 with integrated dual DVB-S2 demodulator for satellite PVRs and dual HD picture-in-picture
- STiH273 and STiH223 with integrated DVB-T and DVB-C annex A/B/C demodulation
- Easy-to-use basis for platforms such as HD zappers, Personal Video Recorders (PVR), Internet Protocol (IP) clients and dual-HD boxes supporting connected-TV services such as Internet Protocol television (IPTV), information channels and Over-The-Top (OTT) video, gaming, catch-up TV and social networking
- Support for the full range of HD broadcast and multimedia codecs, hybrid and IP standards, the latest security and content protection standards, and important middleware stacks from the leading providers
- Outstanding “green” features such as the latest generation of energy-efficient Ethernet and a 0.5 W stand-by mode with fast-resume capability
- Code-compatible with the widely-used STi7105, facilitating rapid porting of existing software, permitting customers to upgrade their product platforms with minimal development costs
- Enhanced flexibility for equipment manufacturers and operators through pin compatibility between decoder-only chips and chips with integrated cable, satellite or terrestrial demodulator. This enables designers to create products for various market sectors taking advantage of extensive hardware commonality to save costs and lead times.