ST's Time of Flight (ToF) technology based products are packaged in a module that integrates the Proximity Sensor Single Photon Avalanche Diode (SPAD) array, Ambient Light Sensor (ALS) as well as the Vertical Cavity Surface-Emitting Laser (VCSEL) used by the proximity sensor feature, thus greatly easing the product integration.
Using a mature in-house imaging process and an in-house high-volume packaging solution this advanced technology is ideally suited to a wide range of applications that require:
- Competitive system cost,
- Very small package footprint,
- Low power consumption.
Time of Flight (ToF) technology can be used in a host of application areas where accurate ranging, that is target reflectance independent, is required. Conventional IR proximity sensor devices cannot output an absolute range measure in the same manner.
- Communication and Consumer: browsing, remote control, proximity sensing, autofocus assist,
- Home appliance: gesture for light management, robot cleaners, toys, drinking machines,
- Automotive: on-board computer control with gesture,
- Industrial: proximity and light detection, door control, robotics.
For ideas and knowledge sharing, please join our e2e community for Proximity sensors !