STEVAL-ISV014V1Up to 3 W solar and USB battery charger for single-cell Li-Ion and Li-Po batteries based on the SPV1040, STBC21 and STC3100
The STEVAL-ISV014V1 demonstration board provides a very high level of integration being based on the ST devices SPV1040 (solar energy harvester and power optimizer), STBC21 (single cell Li-Ion battery charger) and STC3100 (gas gauge).
The STEVAL-ISV014V1 controls the single-cell Li-Ion battery charging thanks to the STBC21, which can be supplied by a solar panel or by an USB (type-A connector) compatible supply. The battery charging status set by STBC21 can be controlled via I2C. Safety during the battery charge process is guaranteed by the gas-gauge controller device STC3100.
When the energy is provided by the solar panel, the SPV1040 optimizes the power extracted from the source and boosts the voltage, charging a 440mF super-capacitor, which is connected to the input stage of the STBC21 by a STS5PF30L P-channel power MOSFET.
Furthermore, the STEVAL-ISV014V1 can be used to supply a type-B USB compatible load by an external Li-Ion battery. In this case, the L6920 voltage boost controller will regulate the battery voltage up to the 5 V required by the USB standard.
Finally, the STEVAL-ISV014V1 has a dedicated charging monitor circuitry implemented by 4 LEDs and by the TS339 quad comparator.
- Solar section
- Solar energy harvester with proprietary “Perturb and Observe” embedded MPPT algorithm
- Reverse polarity protection for solar panel connection
- Battery charging section
- Both linear and quasi-pulse operation, with programmable charge current (up to 1 A) in both fast charge and pre-charge mode
- Selectable 4.1 V and 4.2 V output voltage (±1% accuracy)
- Programmable termination current, pre-charge mode voltage threshold and charge time setting by I2C
- Coulomb counter available via I2C
- Status outputs to drive LEDs or host processor interface
- Charge status LED indicator
- Battery protection section
- Battery absence detection
- Battery thermal control (monitoring and protection) by NTC or PTC thermistor interface
- 5 V USB supply output from external battery
- RoHS compliant
DB1537: Up to 3 W solar and USB battery charger for single-cell Li-Ion and Li-Po batteries based on the SPV1040, STBC21 and STC3100
Board Manufacturing Specification
STEVAL-ISV014V1 gerber files
Bill of Materials
Sample & BuyTop
|Part Number||Marketing Status||Core Product||Order From ST||Unit Price (US$)*|
|Distributor Availability||RoHS Compliance Grade||Download
|STEVAL-ISV014V1||Active||SPV1040; STBC21; ST3100||128.62|
(*) Suggested Resale Price per unit (USD) for BUDGETARY USE ONLY. For quotes, prices in local currency, please contact your local ST Sales Office or our Distributors
(**) The Material Declaration forms available on st.com may be generic documents based on the most commonly used package within a package family. For this reason, they may not be 100% accurate for a specific device. Please contact our sales support for information on specific devices.