Since the early 90s, ST has been committed to supporting advances in narrow-band power-line communication (PLC) technologies that then became largely adopted by Automatic Meter Reading (AMR) and Automatic Meter Infrastructures (AMI) solutions at the heart of the smart grid concept.
Our large and expanding offer ranges from our first generation analog FSK transceivers with an integrated power-line driver to a second generation, dual-core, multi-protocol, STarGRID® system-on-chip platform with an integrated power-line driver, analog front-end and AES encryption that supports B-FSK, B-PSK, Q-PSK, 8-PSK and OFDM modulations.
Our newest release is the future-proof, fully-programmable, dual-core STCOMET SoC platform supporting channels up to 500 kHz, with an integrated AFE, power-line driver and programmable modem. The STCOMET platform also includes a fully-integrated smart meter SoC that embeds high-performance metrology functions.
To ensure ST's PLC transceivers can be readily integrated into tomorrow's smart meter designs, we are among the principal members of major industry alliances committed to the development of standard communication protocols for the smart grid including PRIME, PLC- G3 and METERS AND MORE®. In addition, our transceivers comply with EN50065, FCC and ARIB standards.
Our power-line communication platform comes with an extensive toolbox that includes evaluation boards, evaluation software and certified protocol stacks, providing designers with a comprehensive development environment enabling easy integration into new and existing designs and shorter time to market.
STCOMET Smart Metering system-on-chip
This multi-core SoC with FLASH memory is a true smart-meter on-a-chip and embeds all the functions required to build future-proof, high-performance electricity meters for smart grid:
- in-field programmable modem capable to handle primary narrow band Power Line Communication (PLC) standards protocol like, for example, PRIME 1.36 and 1.4, PLC- G3, S-FSK IEC61 334-5-1, METERS AND MORE®, and IEEE 1901.2.
- an RX-TX analog front-end with ADC/DAC and power amplifier for direct connection to the external coupling network for EN50065, FCC, or ARIB compliant designs
- independent three channel metrology analog front-end and hard-wired DSP for high-accuracy energy measurement suitable for EN 50470-1, EN 50470-3, IEC 62053-21, IEC 62053-22 and IEC 62053-23 class1, class0.5 and class0.2 AC compliant applications
STCOMET comes with a complete suite of tools including
- evaluation and development boards and reference designs,
- certified power line communication protocol stacks FW libraries
- SW integration tool-chain to ensure the shortest path from evaluation to prototyping and certification to mass production. Learn more