High-side switches can safely drive high currents into complex (resistive, inductive and capacitive) grounded loads in compliance with the harsh automotive environment. This requires both robust, low on-resistance power switch and accurate analog circuitry for diagnostic, protection and control functions.
ST offers a wide range of fully-protected high-side switches based on VIPower™ (vertical intelligent power) silicon technology that allows integration of digital and analog circuits together with a vertical structure power MOSFET on the same chip. ST’s high-side switches have 3 V and 5 V CMOS compatible inputs – for command – and outputs – for diagnostic and status – and are the perfect companions to a microcontroller.
Designed to work from -40 to +150°C, ST's high-side switches meet the stringent requirements set by international standards (such as AEC-Q100) and provide an extensive set of protection and diagnostic features such as:
· Over-temperature protection and monitoring
· Open-load detection both in on- and off-states
· Shorted load protection
· Overvoltage and undervoltage shutdown
· Loss of ground and loss of Vcc protection
· Vbat monitoring
· Programmable latch-off
ST's high-side switches portfolio includes single, dual and quad configurations and power switch on-resistance values starting from 4 mΩ with both digital and analog status diagnostic. They are available in multiple power-optimized packages to best cover body electronics applications such as junction box, interior lighting and motor control.
Next-generation VIPower M0-7 intelligent high-side switches
ST constantly enriches its high-side switches portfolio to take full benefits of the evolution of ST’s proprietary VIPower™ silicon technology. New products like VND7050AJ12TR and VND7140AJ12TR, built with the latest VIPower™ M0-7 technology, provide enhanced performance and help reduce system size and cost. They offer higher power density, greater accuracy in critical diagnostic and protection features and helps simplify system design.
· meet stringent cold-cranking specification as per LV124 test making them ideal for vehicles with start-stop
· 40% smaller package footprint for reduced PCB size and weight
· EMI-performance compliant with CISPR25 Class 5 requirements for simplified filter design
· Withstand up to 1,000,000 Grade A short-circuit cycles
· Configurable auto-restart or latch-off protection against hazardous conditions
· High accuracy, analog output MultiSense diagnostic for load current, chip temperature and battery voltage
· As low as 0.5uA quiescent current for minimal battery drain in idle mode
· Wide selection of pin-to-pin compatible products with different RDSon values to enable module design scalability