New Battery “Fuel Gauge” IC from STMicroelectronics Gives Reliable Runtimes for Mobile UsersInnovative state-of-charge calculator maintains accurate fuel gauging with battery age and usage
The STC3115 further enhances accuracy by measuring true initial battery open-circuit voltage and preventing measurement disruptions when connecting the charger or launching an app. The charging inhibitor is a patented feature that significantly improves accuracy. Aging and temperature compensation are built in, and the voltage measurement accuracy is 0.25%.
Additional value-added features of the new IC include a low-power mode that reduces operating current to only 45µA while continuing to monitor the battery, and a 2µA standby mode. An Under-Voltage Lockout (UVLO) filter prevents short-term fluctuations in battery voltage from causing unwanted system resets. In addition, the STC3115 saves bill-of-materials costs by operating directly from the battery voltage without requiring its own voltage regulator.
Key features of STC3115:
• The OptimGauge algorithm, which adjusts the battery charge/discharge model over the battery’s life
• Industry-standard I2C connection to application processor
• Programmable with different battery profiles at manufacture, for flexibility
• Monitors batteries up to 4.5V
• Monitors multi-cell packs when used with TS941ILT low-power buffer
• Dedicated “battery-present” input simplifies battery replacement
• Dedicated alarm output, activated if battery voltage falls below threshold level
The STC3115 is in full production in a 1.4 x 2.0mm chip-scale package, priced from $.95 in quantities of 1,000 pieces. If your company has high-volume requirements please contact your local ST sales office.
ST is a global leader in the semiconductor market serving customers across the spectrum of sense and power and automotive products and embedded processing solutions. From energy management and savings to trust and data security, from healthcare and wellness to smart consumer devices, in the home, car and office, at work and at play, ST is found everywhere microelectronics make a positive and innovative contribution to people's life. By getting more from technology to get more from life, ST stands for life.augmented.
In 2012, the Company’s net revenues were $8.49 billion. Further information on ST can be found at www.st.com.