Advanced quasi-resonant offline high-voltage converter with E-mode GaN HEMT
The VIPerGaN50 with integrated 650V gallium-nitride (GaN) power transistor offers superior energy efficiency and miniaturization, and simplifies single-switch flyback converter designs up to 50 watts.
The compact and low-cost 5mm x 6mm package houses a highly integrated single-switch topology with embedded current-sensing and protection circuitry. The integrated GaN transistor allows a high switching frequency with small and lightweight flyback transformers. Minimal additional external components are needed to design advanced, high-efficiency switched-mode power supplies (SMPS).
The VIPerGaN50 helps designers leverage GaN wide-bandgap technology to meet increasingly stringent ecodesign standards targeting global energy savings and net-zero carbon emissions. It is ideal for consumer and industrial applications such as power adapters, USB-PD chargers, power supplies for home appliances, air conditioners, LED-lighting equipment, and smart meters.
- Quasi-resonant (QR) flyback controller
- 650 V E-mode power GaN transistor
- Embedded sense FET
- Dynamic blanking time and adjustable valley synchronization delay functions to maximize efficiency with any input line and load condition
- Valley-lock to ensure constant valley skipping
- Advanced power management for less than 30 mW standby power consumption with adaptive burst-mode
- Output OVP protection
- Input voltage feed-forward compensation for mains independent OPP variation
- Brown-in and brown-out protection
- Input OVP protection
- Embedded thermal shutdown
- Frequency jitter for EMI suppression
45 W quasi-resonant USB PD adaptor reference design based on VIPERGAN50 and STUSB4761. The EVLVIPGAN50PD 45 W USB Type-C™ Power Delivery 3.0 adapter is a USBPD reference design solution. It is an isolated power supply based on the VIPERGAN50, a new offline high-voltage converter from the VIPerPlus family with a 650 V HEMT Power GaN transistor, designed for quasi-resonant flyback converters, capable of providing 50 W output power over a wide range.
Discover how to create highly efficient and compact high voltage converters up to 50 W with the latest advancements in the VIPerPlus family: VIPerGaN50.
- How to extract high power density for AC/DC converters up to 50 W
- The benefits of GaN in high voltage conversion
- How to minimize BOM count for high voltage converters
- How to minimize power consumption in all load conditions with dynamic blanking time