Learn the key hardware and software elements that factor into electric motor performance
Electric motors are ubiquitous in systems today, and they help implement some of the most valued features included in products. With use cases spanning from the brute force coupled with control precision delivered by the traction drive in an electric vehicle to the efficiency and low specific power provided in a drone, electric motor control is a fascinating subject to explore as well as a potential difference-maker among the list of product features.
In this session we lay the groundwork by discussing how performance is defined along with some motor fundamentals. Next, we explore a few motor control algorithms and how they help ensure that the motor delivers performance requisite with its potential. We wrap up by examining motor control hardware along with a brief survey of motor control-oriented products offered by STMicroelectronics.
You will learn:
- Motor fundamentals: how an electric motor works, types of motors, and where they are used
- The Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) typically considered for electric motors
- How control algorithms factor into motor efficiency
- How to compute the horsepower needed for an application
- About hardware requirements (i.e. What power stages will I need? Will I need a gate driver?)