HCC is renowned for its deep knowledge of Flash storage media. In any embedded system, it is not easy to achieve various efficiency, performance or reliability goals with a single file system. HCC has a range of FAT file systems that can be used with all kinds of Flash media including SD / MMC / eMMC/ SDHC/ SDXC cards, disk drives, Compact Flash, RAM, pen drives and most common types of external storage. HCC\qs FAT file systems can also be used in conjunction with SafeFTL to provide support for NAND and NOR Flash. SafeFTL is a power fail-safe, Flash Translation Layer which acts as the media driver and provides wear leveling, bad block management, and error correction.
Importantly, when any kind of power fail-safety is required, HCC provides system design guidance to ensure reliable operation since some removable media and systems designs are inherently unreliable.
FAT: Full-featured FAT file system optimized for high-performance with FAT12/16/32-compliant media. FAT provides extensive support for external media, including SD/MMC/eMMC/Mass Storage/CF or any device arranged as an array of logical sectors.
THIN: Full-featured FAT file system for MCUs with limited resources and is compatible with any Flash media. The code has been designed to provide a balance of speed against memory, with options that allow the developer to make performance trade-offs using available resources. This permits a full file system to be run on a low-cost microcontroller where resources are limited.
SafeFAT: Robust, full featured fail-safe FAT file system that provides guaranteed reliability in the case of unexpected reset or power failure. It implements a system of journaling/transaction operations that provides the strongest possible assurance that all memory operations are performed correctly, and that the system can recover coherently from unexpected events.
HCC is a third party not affiliated to ST. For complete and latest information on the specification and the purchased parts package, refer to HCC’s website: https://www.hcc-embedded.com
- Fully portable FAT file systems for any STM32 RTOS, tool chain or media type
- Drop-in abstractions for RTOS and non-RTOS based development provided
- File systems provided for all use cases: Standard: FAT / Power-failsafe: SafeFAT / Small footprint: THIN
- Typical code size: FAT: ~ 24 Kbytes / SafeFAT: ~ 31 Kbytes / THIN: 4 to 12.5 Kbytes
- RAM usage: FAT: \> 3 Kbytes / SafeFAT: \> 6 Kbytes / THIN: 1.5 to 2 Kbytes.
- SafeFAT provides guaranteed power-fail safe operation and test suite
- Support for long filenames and high-performance cache options.
- Key FAT / SafeFAT Features:
- Unicode 16
- multiple volumes and users of open files
- multi-sector read / write
- variable sector sizes
- partition handling
- Common API (CAPI)
- Media error handling
- Secure delete option
- Standard drivers available for SD, SDHC, SDXC, MMC, eMMC, SafeFTL, USB-MST, HDD and RAM