STM32Cube™ is an STMicroelectronics original initiative to make developers' lives easier by reducing development effort, time and cost. STM32Cube™ covers the whole STM32 portfolio.
STM32Cube™ includes STM32CubeMX, a graphical software configuration tool that allows the generation of C initialization code using graphical wizards.
It also comprises the STM32CubeWB MCU Package composed of the STM32Cube™ hardware abstraction layer (HAL) and the low-layer (LL) APIs, a consistent set of middleware components such as USB Device, STMTouch, STM32_WPAN (Bluetooth® 5 profiles and services, OpenThread and 802-15-4 MAC services), FatFS and FreeRTOS™, plus Bluetooth® 5 profiles and services, OpenThread, Concurrent Bluetooth® 5/Thread®, HCI and 802-15-4 MAC connectivity services. All embedded software utilities are delivered with a full set of examples running on STMicroelectronics boards.
The STM32Cube™ HAL is an STM32 embedded software layer that ensures maximized portability across the STM32 portfolio, while the LL APIs make up a fast, light-weight, expert-oriented layer which is closer to the hardware than the HAL. HAL and LL APIs can be used simultaneously with a few restrictions.
Both the HAL and LL APIs are production-ready and have been developed in compliance with CodeSonar®, MISRA-C®:2012 guidelines and ISO/TS 16949. Furthermore, STMicroelectronics specific validation processes add a deeper-level qualification.
The STM32CubeWB gathers in one single package all the generic embedded software components required to develop an application on STM32WB microcontrollers. Following STM32Cube™ initiative, this set of components is highly portable, not only within the STM32WB Series but also to other STM32 Series. In addition, the low-layer APIs provide an alternative, high-performance, low-footprint solution to the STM32CubeWB HAL at the cost of portability and simplicity.
HAL and LL APIs are available in open-source BSD license for user convenience.
- Consistent and complete embedded software offer that frees the user from dependency issues
- Maximized portability between all STM32 series supported by STM32Cube™
- Hundreds of examples for easy understanding
- High quality HAL using CodeSonar® static analysis tool
- High quality low-layer APIs (LL) using CodeSonar® static analysis tool
- STM32WB-specific middleware: USB Device, STMTouch (STM32 touch sensing library), STM32_WPAN (Bluetooth® 5 profiles and services, OpenThread services, 802-15-4 MAC services), FatFS and FreeRTOS™
- STM32WB Bluetooth® 5 and HCI stacks
- OpenThread stack
- 802.15.4 MAC
- Free user-friendly license terms
- Update mechanism with new-release notification capability