STMCube™ is an STMicroelectronics original initiative to make developers’ lives easier by reducing development effort, time and cost. STM32Cube is the implementation of STMCube™ that covers the whole STM32 portfolio.
STM32Cube includes STM32CubeMX, a graphical software configuration tool that allows the generation of C initialization code using graphical wizards.
It also comprises the STM32CubeF0 MCU Package composed of the STM32Cube hardware abstraction layer (HAL) and the low-layer (LL) APIs, plus a consistent set of middleware components (RTOS, USB, FAT file system, and STM32 touch sensing). All embedded software utilities are delivered with a full set of examples running on STMicroelectronics boards.
The STM32Cube HAL is an STM32 embedded software layer that ensures maximized portability across the STM32 portfolio, while the LL APIs make up a fast, light-weight, expert-oriented layer which is closer to the hardware than the HAL. HAL and LL APIs can be used simultaneously with a few restrictions.
Both the HAL and LL APIs are production-ready and have been developed in compliance with MISRA C®:2004 guidelines with some documented exceptions (reports available on demand) and ISO/TS 16949. Furthermore, ST-specific validation processes add a deeper-level qualification.
STM32CubeF0 gathers in one single package all the generic embedded software components required to develop an application on STM32F0 microcontrollers. Following STM32Cube initiative, this set of components is highly portable, not only within STM32F0 Series but also to other STM32 Series. In addition, the low-layer APIs provide an alternative, high-performance, low-footprint solution to the STM32CubeF0 HAL at the cost of portability and simplicity.
HAL and LL APIs are available under open-source BSD license for user convenience.
- Consistent and complete embedded software offer that frees the user from dependency issues
- Maximized portability between all STM32 Series supported by STM32Cube
- More than 130 examples for easy understanding
- High quality HAL using CodeSonar® static analysis tool
- High quality low-layer APIs (LL) using CodeSonar® static analysis tool
- STM32F0-dedicated middleware including USB Device, FatFS, RTOS and touch sensing library
- Free user-friendly license terms
- Update mechanism that can be enabled by the user to be notified of new releases