This reference design integrates a high power standard PoE-PD interface compliant with the third generation IEEE 802.3bt PoE standard, able to support applications up to 100 W.
The PoE-PD interface is based on the PM8805 system in package featuring two embedded active bridges with driving circuitry, a charge pump to drive the high side MOSFETs, a hot swap MOSFET and a standard single-signature interface compliant with IEEE 802.3bt, including detection, classification, UVLO and inrush current limitation.
The device implements IEEE 802.3bt physical layer classification schemes to signal successful PSE type identification to the system: it identifies a 4-pair PSE by monitoring the Ethernet cable pairs and providing the system with a dedicated matrix of Tx signals.
The PM8805 is suitable for building the interface for PoE switch mode power supplies for maximum conversion efficiency, with a PGD signal that can be used to enable downstream DC-DC converters or LED drivers with suitable electrical parameters.
- System in package including a dual active bridge, a hot swap MOSFET and a PoE-PD interface
- Robust 100V N-ch MOSFETs with 0.2 Ω total path resistance for each active bridge
- Robust 100 V, 0.1 Ω high side N-ch hot swap MOSFET
- PoE-PD single-signature interface compliant with IEEE 802.3bt
- Detection and support of high power, 4-pair applications
- Identifies which kind of PSE (standard or legacy) it is connected with, and provides successful IEEE 802.3af/at/bt classification indication through combination of the T0, T1 and T2 signals (open drain)
- Programmable classification current with 3.3 ms delay
- Advanced energy-saving MPS timings
- Two step hot swap current protection: DC with 1 ms delay and overload with 10 µs delay
- Startup phase (pre-charge of the output capacitor), performed using an internally limited current source
- PGD signal (open drain) to enable an external PWM controller
- Thermal shutdown protection
- RoHS compliant
- WEEE compliant
RoHS Compliance Grade
(**) The Material Declaration forms available on st.com may be generic documents based on the most commonly used package within a package family. For this reason, they may not be 100% accurate for a specific device. Please contact our sales support for information on specific devices.