The secure, ultra-low power STM32 MCUs that revolutionize embedded designs!
The STM32U5 series offers advanced power-saving microcontrollers, based on the Arm® Cortex®-M33 core. It embeds innovative, proprietary ultra-low power features that reduce typical MCU power consumption by 90% in applications where peripherals need to regularly acquire data. The STM32U5 MCU also provides additional security features for physical-attack resistance and is based on Arm’s proven TrustZone® architecture that ensures extra isolation for security-critical resources.
The STM32U5 is the first STM32 MCU to receive PSA Level-3 and SESIP 3 certifications. It achieved an EEMBC SecureMark®-TLS score of 133,000 for cryptographic processing efficiency, taking cyber protection to a new level and allowing developers to streamline their IoT design process.
Key features of STM32U5 series
Proven efficiency and best-in-class power consumption
- New power management
- LPBAM*, DMA and IP autonomous in low-power mode
- Energy benchmark:
- 535 ULPMark-CP
- 149 ULPMark-PP
- 133,000 SecureMark-TLS
*Low-Power Background Autonomous Mode
- Arm Cortex-M33 core running at 160 MHz
- 240 DMIPS and 651 CoreMark scores
- New ST ART Accelerator: working both on internal and external Flash (8 Kbytes of instruction cache)
- Up to 2Mbytes of Flash
- Higher level of safety with 100 kcycles for 512 kB of flash
- PSA level 3 and SESIP level 3 certified
- Arm® TrustZone® and securable I/Os, memories, and peripherals
- AES and PKA, side-attack resistant
How to test & prototype with STM32U5 series
Choose a development kit to start testing the capabilities and features of STM32U5 series:
B-U585I-IOT02A accelerates embedded development by increasing security, power efficiency, and performance
The B-U585I-IOT02A discovery kit leverages the hardened security features of the STM32U5 and the enhanced key storage of an STSAFE-A110 secure element. This kit helps designers build prototypes for a variety of wearable or sensor applications in fitness, metering, industrial or medical fields, with state-of-the-art energy efficiency and higher security.
The STM32U5 discovery kit is certified for the Microsoft Azure IoT Plug-and-Play program and is part of the Azure-certified device catalog. A ready-to-use platform, the B-U585I-IOT02A discovery board can connect to Azure IoT services and enables the visualization of sensor data in real time, leveraging state-of-the-art security based on Arm® Trusted Firmware -M.
The STSAFE-A110 EAL5+ certified secure element brings an authentication scheme and personalization services that allow an automated and secure connection between IoT objects and Microsoft Azure. It addresses the need of IoT device makers to protect secret credentials during product manufacturing.
- Introduction to the new STM32U5 microcontroller family for connected IoT applications
- Overview of the flexible life cycle scheme with RDP and password protected debug
- Detailing Enhanced Key Storage utilizing the Hardware Unique Key (HUK)
- Cryptography IP improvements, including side channel protections