First real-time native 8x8 multi-zone Time-of-Flight sensor with wide field-of-view, multi-target detection and distance measurement for each zone
Multi-zone distance measurements with up to 8x8 real time native zones and a wide 63° diagonal field of view. For each zone, the sensor can measure the distance to a target at up to 4 meters with a maximum frequency of 60 Hz.
With ST's patented histogram algorithms, the VL53L5CX detects multiple objects within the FoV and ensures immunity to cover glass crosstalk beyond 60 cm.
Key features of VL53L5CX
- Multizone ranging output with 8x8 real-time native separate zones
- Square 45°x45° field-of-view (63° diagonal)
- Up to 4 meters
- Multitarget detection and distance measurement in each zone
- Motion indicator for each zone
- 60 Hz frame rate capability
- Autonomous low-power mode with programmable thresholds
- Histogram processing
- Invisible (940 nm) emitted light
And also applications, such as:
- Scene understanding
- 3D room mapping
- Laser-assisted autofocus (LAF)
- and many more
How to test & prototype with VL53L5CX
Choose a development kit to start testing the capabilities and features of VL53L5CX:
VL53L5CX Expansion pack for STM32 Nucleo
A complete evaluation kit, the P-NUCLEO-53L5A1 lets you learn, evaluate, and develop applications based on the VL53L5CX ranging sensor. When used with our STM32 Nucleo-64 development board (NUCLEO-F401RE), designers will benefit from an affordable and flexible way to try out new ideas and build prototypes with any STM32 microcontroller, choosing from the various combinations of performance, power consumption, and features.
VL53L5CX breakout boards
Designed to ensure a faster time to market, each of of two VL53L5CX breakout boards (VL53L5CX-SATEL) is perforated so that developers can break off the mini-PCB for use in a 3.3 V supply application using flying wires. This makes it easier to integrate the VL53L5CX modules into development and evaluation devices thanks to their compact size.
VL53L5CX Expansion board (X-NUCLEO-53L5A1)
Designed for use with any of the STM32 Nucleo boards thanks to the STM32Cube Time-of-Flight sensor expansion software (X-CUBE-TOF1), the VL53L5CX expansion board (X-NUCLEO-53L5A1) reduces development time and cost.
Compatible with STM32 Nucleo boards and the Arduino UNO R3 connector layout, several ST expansion boards can be superposed to quickly develop VL53L5CX applications with Bluetooth or Wi-Fi interfaces.
The X-CUBE-TOF1 expansion software package for STM32Cube runs on the STM32 and includes drivers that recognize the sensors and perform simple ranging on single or multiple devices.
The expansion is built on STM32Cube software technology to ease portability across different STM32 microcontrollers.
The software comes with a sample implementation of the drivers running on the X-NUCLEO-53L3A2 and X-NUCLEO-53L5A1 expansion boards connected to a featured STM32 Nucleo development board.
The software provides sample applications such as: simple ranging for expansion board and breakout boards, multisensors ranging, and calibration.
On-demand Webinar | Discover the first 8x8 multizone Time-of-Flight ranging sensor with wide 63° field of view
- Overview of Time-of-Flight (ToF) technology
- The principle of FlightSense™, ST's Time-of-Flight technology
- The main features of the VL53L5CX and their advantages
- How this multi-zone, wide 63° FoV sensor enables innovative applications able to detect and track multiple objects or people
- Comprehensive development tools including design resources and software code examples