STM32L0 series of ultra-low-power MCUs
The STM32L0 series is ST’s entry-level range of 32-bit ultra-low-power MCUs designed to achieve an outstandingly low power consumption level. The result is a genuine ultra-low-power MCU with the world’s lowest power consumption at 125 °C.
The exclusive combination of an Arm® Cortex®-M0+ core and STM32 ultra-low-power features, makes the STM32L0 the best fit for applications operating on batteries or supplied by energy harvesting.
To provide the best power efficiency, the STM32L0 offers dynamic voltage scaling, an ultra-low-power clock oscillator and short wakeup time. New autonomous peripherals (including USART, I²C, and touch sense controller) reduce the load of the Arm® Cortex®-M0+ core leading to fewer CPU wakeups and contribute to decreased processing time and power consumption.
To reduce total application BOM cost, the STM32L0 integrates low-power comparators, embedded EEPROM, and a crystal-less USB interface.
Other value-added features such as 16-bit ADC (hardware oversampling), dual-channel DAC, hardware encryption, and communication peripherals capable of operating in ultra-low-power mode make up for an unrivaled tradeoff between feature integration, performance and ultra-low-energy consumption.
STM32L0 MCUs are available with up to 192 Kbytes of Flash memory, 20 Kbytes of RAM and up to 6 Kbytes of embedded true EEPROM (no emulation needed) in 14- to 100-pin packages, including space-saving WLCSP packages.
STM32L0 MCUs have scored 244 in the standardized EEMBC™ ULPBench® tests that compare the efficiency of ultra-low-power microcontrollers.
Current consumption reference values:
- Dynamic run mode: down to 49 µA/MHz (with external DC/DC) and 76 MHz (with LDO)
- Ultra-low-power mode + full RAM + low power timer: 340 nA (16 wakeup lines)
- Ultra-low-power mode + backup register: 230 nA (2 wakeup pins)
- Wake-up time: 3.5 µs
This video is about the STM32L5, our recently announced ultra-low power microcontroller bringing a new security dimension. The STM32L5 is now in full production and all its ecosystem is available including hardware kits, software tools, firmware and all documentations of course. This is our first STM32 based on Cortex-M33 and its Trustzone and using specific ST security implementation - watch the video to find out more!
The STM32L5 is based on Arm® Cortex-M33 and TrustZone® technology combined with STMicroelectronics security implementation. On your STM32L562E-DK discovery board, TrustZone is disabled (factory setting) and you can develop as on any other STM32 device. This video shows how to enable TrustZone on STM32L562E-DK discovery using STM32CubeProgrammer and create, compile and debug or run a new project with STM32CubeIDE. It also shows how to open an example project delivered in STM32CubeL5 MCU Package, modify, compile and debug or run it. For further information, you can refer to AN5394 and AN5424 application notes.
MadeForSTM32™ is a new quality label delivered by ST, which is granted after an evaluation process. It helps engineers identify third party solutions with the highest level of integration and quality for the STM32 microcontrollers' ecosystem. MadeForSTM32™ is offered to members of the ST Partner Program who want to go one step further in our collaboration, with the overall objective of contributing to a high-quality STM32 ecosystem.
STM32L0 MCU series: a great and affordable ecosystem
- Purchase a 32-pin or 64-pin Nucleo board, Discovery kit or Evaluation kit for STM32L0 MCUs.
- Download the Free STM32CubeL0 embedded software package containing the HAL, LL (low-layer) APIs, and middleware. Then install ST’s STM32CubeMX graphical software configuration tool (Free) that supports pinout configuration, code generation and a power consumption calculator. Start with one of the many examples provided or build your own project.
- To get ultimate optimized library code download the free STM32SnippetsL0 embedded software package.
- STM32L0 users can now choose from several IDEs from leading vendors and enjoy free license of MDK-ARM-STR Keil environment and also free Eclipse-based IDEs such as Ac6 System Workbench.
STM32L0 Ultra-low-power Wireless Solution
To discover low-power wireless solutions based on the STM32L0, the STM32L0 LoRa® Discovery kit
(B-L072Z-LRWAN1) and the low-power wireless Nucleo pack (P-NUCLEO-LRWAN1) with NUCLEO-L073RZ and LoRa expansion board (I-NUCLEO-SX1272D) are now available.
Learn more about our LoRa solution on LoRaWAN web page.