STM32L0 series of ultra-low-power MCUs
The STM32L0 series is ST’s entry-level range of 32-bit ultra-low-power MCUs designed to achieve an outstandingly low power consumption level. The result is a genuine ultra-low-power MCU with the world’s lowest power consumption at 125 °C.
Since its mass market launch in February 2016, the STM32L0 MCU has become a reference in the industry, as it provides key features that save energy in battery-powered devices and in applications with an embedded energy-harvesting system.
- Gas and water meters are getting smarter thanks to the high-performance 32-bit Cortex-M0+ CPU combined with dynamic voltage scaling, an ultra-low-power clock oscillator and the internal LCD driver of the STM32L0x3 product line
- Consumer devices offer enhanced battery management and fast charging capabilities using the standalone peripherals of the STM32L0x2 USB crystal-less product line.
- Smoke detectors and fire alarms are becoming increasingly accurate thanks to the ultra-low-power analog comparators and fast 16-bit ADC (hardware oversampling) of the STM32L0x1 access line.
- For cost-sensitive devices, the STM32L0x0 value line reduces the total bill-of-material costs thanks to its embedded EEPROM memory
Other value-added features such as the “read while write” capability, dual-channel DAC, hardware encryption, and communication peripherals capable of operating in ultra-low-power mode wake up for an unrivaled trade-off between feature integration, performance and ultra-low-energy consumption.
STM32L0 MCUs have scored 244 in the standardized EEMBC™ ULPBench® tests that compare the efficiency of ultra-low-power microcontrollers.
Current consumption reference values:
- Dynamic run mode: down to 49 µA/MHz (with external DC/DC) and 76 µA/MHz (with LDO)
- Ultra-low power mode + full RAM + low power timer: 340 nA (16 wakeup lines)
- Ultra-low power mode + backup register: 230 nA (2 wakeup pins)
- Wake-up time: 3.5 µs
In our continued efforts to simplify developers’ life within the STM32Cube environment, we just introduced a new video demonstrating how to easily port an example built using ST’s new STM32Cube Low-Layer APIs from one board (NUCLEO-L476RG) to another (32L496GDISCOVERY) within the same STM32 family.
Discover the large and pin-to-pin compatible STM32 ultra-low-power portfolio. This offer covers more than 2 billion of applications like IoT, Industrial sensors, wearables & home automation.
The STM32 Nucleo pack for LoRa™ technology and high-performance FSK/OOK RF transceiver modem (P-NUCLEO-LRWAN1) is a development tool to learn and develop solutions based on LoRa™ and/or FSK/OOK technologies.
More than one billion of ultra-low-power MCU sold enabling power savings in homes, cities and industries around the world!
We have exceeded the milestone of one billion STM32L0 microcontrollers shipped to date, underlining the need for energy-friendly solutions in a wide range of applications. Find out more about our STM32L0 MCUs ecosystem:
Getting started with STM32L0
- Purchase a 32-pin or 64-pin Nucleo board, Discovery kit or Evaluation kit for STM32L0 MCUs. For low-power wireless solutions based on STM32L0, the STM32 LoRa® Discovery Kit (B-L072Z-LRWAN1) and the low-power wireless Nucleo pack (P-NUCLEO-LRWAN1) are available.
- STM32L0 user can download the free STM32CubeL0 embedded software package containing the HAL, LL (low-layer) APIs, and middleware. Then install ST’s STM32CubeMX graphical software configuration tool that supports pinout configuration, code generation and a power consumption calculator. Start with one of the many examples provided and build your own project.