Dual-core, multi-protocol wireless STM32WB microcontrollers, supporting Bluetooth® LE, Zigbee® and Thread® connectivity
Based on an Arm® Cortex®‐M4 core running at 64 MHz (application processor) and an Arm Cortex‐M0+ core at 32 MHz (network processor), STM32WB wireless microcontrollers support Bluetooth LE 5.2 and IEEE 802.15.4 wireless standards such as Zigbee and Thread.
Bluetooth Low Energy
Bluetooth Low Energy RF transceiver comes with certified Bluetooth™ LE 5.2 radio stack, profiles from the Bluetooth SIG, Mesh profile-compliant V1.0 Bluetooth SIG release.
A host controller interface (HCI) for Bluetooth Low Energy solutions including the Zephir or Arm Cordio stack and a BLE LLD for proprietary protocols are supported to address various integration needs.
IEEE 802.15.4 standards, Zigbee, Thread
The generic IEEE 802.15.4 MAC layer ensures the STM32WB can run proprietary protocols or full stacks, including Zigbee PRO 2017 and low-power OpenThread Mesh networking protocols, giving designers even more options for connecting devices to the Internet of Things (IoT). Different certified configurations are available to provide more freedom in terms of device sizing and OTA capability, to enable platform optimization.
STM32WB MCUs can also run Bluetooth LE 5.2 with 802.15.4 wireless protocols, Zigbee and OpenThread protocols in concurrent modes (Bluetooth LE and Zigbee or Bluetooth LE and OpenThread) for more convenient device management during installation, and configuration once deployed. This concurrent feature significantly increases the ease-of-use and overall user experience of these combined technologies.
The innovative architecture of STM32WB MCUs is based on two totally independent cores, optimized for real-time execution (radio-related software processing) and enables flexible resource use as well as power management for a lower BOM cost and a better user experience.
Developed with the same technology as our ultra-low power STM32L4 microcontrollers, the STM32WB MCU series provides the same digital and analog peripherals suitable for applications requiring an extended battery life and complex functionalities.
- STM32WBx5 wireless microcontrollers, available in multiple packages and different memory sizes, provide users with enhanced performance and flexibility to address different levels of complexity
- The STM32WBx0 Value Line focuses on the essentials and offers a feature-optimized, cost-effective solution for developers
- The STM32WBxM line of modules offers the same feature set as the STM32WBx5 line. Module integrates the full reference design in a small form factor, centric around a package of the same line, and offer a wide certification coverage
- The STM32WBx5 line includes a wide variety of communication features including a practical crystal-less USB 2.0 FS interface, audio support, an LCD driver, touch sensing, up to 72 GPIOs, an integrated SMPS for power consumption optimization, and multiple low-power modes to maximize battery life
- The STM32WBx0 Value Line enables entry-level solutions and features an optimized peripheral set with a reduced temperature range
- The STM32WBxM module offers the same features as the STM32WBx5 MCUs and is fully certified for all protocols and EMC compliance for major geographical markets. The module's adjustable pinout configuration provides manufacturers with flexibility in their design, since they can choose to use the basic feature set to lower the manufacturing costs of entry-level devices, or the full pinout for high-end devices
This product portfolio complements the STM32 ecosystem and provides full flexibility from product definition, to the prototyping phase up to the final platform definition.
Security & ID
In addition to its wireless and ultra-low-power features, STM32WB microcontrollers embed security features which reduce device maintenance needs and ensure end devices are trustable and cannot be cloned.
STM32WB microcontrollers include embedded security hardware functions such as 256-bit AES hardware encryption, PCROP read/write protection, JTAG fuse, and public-key cryptography with an elliptic curve encryption engine. The Firmware Upgrade Services (FUS), PCROP and PKA feature ensure secured wireless stack updates, encryption key management and code protection.
Customer Key Storage (CKS) protects application code and user code.
The STM32WB55 Nucleo pack and STM32Cube Ecosystem form a consistent set of software development tools to quickly and easily start developing your application.
The pack includes the STM32WB55 Nucleo-64 and a USB dongle, both based on the STM32WB microcontroller, to immediately get started while enabling a wide range of wireless applications.
Fully integrated in the market-proven STM32Cube ecosystem, the STM32WB55 Nucleo pack comes with a comprehensive set of embedded software resources and development tools.
The STM32CubeWB MCU Package is a one-stop-shop solution for embedded software resources and features HAL and LL peripheral drivers, a full set of middleware and radio stacks (Bluetooth 5.2, OpenThread and Zigbee 3.0) together with various preconfigured software examples for several popular IDEs such as Keil MDK-ARM and IAR Systems.
The STM32WB series is compatible with the STM32CubeMX MCU initialization, configuration and code generation tool, and with STM32CubeMonRF software to test and validate RF performance.
In addition to an on-board debugger that helps develop and test applications based on existing examples, the STM32WB55 Nucleo board offers many internal power-supply options, including the ST-LINK USB connector and a long-lasting battery cell and can also be powered-up using external sources.
This video demonstrates operations with NUCLEO-WB55RG, display of spectrum and carrier signal on spectrum analyzer.
Recommended for you
New STM32WLE5/E4 and STM32WL55/54 lines with advanced features
Extending our portfolio of wireless microcontrollers, the feature optimized STM32WLE5/E4 and STM32WL55/54 lines enable the design of cost-efficient connected devices running LoRaWAN®, Sigfox™ and W-MBUS certified stacks or other proprietary or standardized sub-GHz protocols. With its energy-saving technologies and embedded advanced security featuresfor safe OTA updates, the STM32WLE5/E4 and STM32WL55/54 are ideal for industrial and consumer IoT applications.for Smart Metering, Smart logistics and many other IoT vertical markets.
Get trained watching our dedicated Online Training.