Tuxera (formerly HCC Embedded) has taken the radical approach of defining a system built around the needs of smart-meters. Metering applications usually have well-defined record structures and Tuxera has used its extensive flash memory experience to take advantage of this. The result improves meter performance in almost every way: reduced cost, higher speed, lower power consumption, and extended flash memory life.
By taking a data-focused approach instead of a file-focused one, it is possible reduce the required number of write/erase cycles by an order of magnitude. Traditional file systems do not have built-in cyclic buffer logic for storing records and this can add complexity, significantly increasing the number of times flash must be accessed. SMFS uses a structured database to reduce the complexity of the application.
- Fail-safe data storage for guaranteed system recovery
- Persistent data storage for 15 years or more
- Features developed to significantly lower manufacturing BOM cost
- Minimum number of flash operations to preserve both the flash memory and the battery
- Deterministic behavior in the event of an unexpected reset