The FreeRTOS™ kernel is a market-leading real time operating system (RTOS) and the de-facto standard solution for microcontrollers and small microprocessors. FreeRTOS supports more than 40 architectures including Armv8-M. It is professionally developed, strictly quality controlled, robust, supported, and free to embed in commercial products without any requirement to expose your proprietary source code.
FreeRTOS has become the standard RTOS for microcontrollers by using a development and distribution model that removes all objections to using free software, and in so doing, providing a truly compelling free software model. Since 2017, the FreeRTOS kernel has been an MIT-licensed AWS open source project.
FreeRTOS is truly free, even for use in commercial applications. You can take a product to market using FreeRTOS without talking to AWS, let alone paying any fees, and thousands of companies do just that. You may also choose to use FreeRTOS under a commercial license, which may provide additional technical support, written guarantees or indemnities, and professional middleware products, in each case pursuant to terms offered by various FreeRTOS strategic partners.
FreeRTOS Ecosystem Products
- FreeRTOS+™ is a showcase for a select group of FreeRTOS™ add-on components.
- Amazon FreeRTOS adds MIT-licensed security and connectivity software libraries to the FreeRTOS kernel to create an IoT operating system that makes it easy to securely connect your small, low-power devices to cloud services. For an overview of Amazon FreeRTOS, visit https://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/amazon-freertos.html#overview.
- FreeRTOS+Trace™ is a run time diagnostic tool for FreeRTOS applications. With more than 20 graphically-interconnected views, FreeRTOS+Trace™ has become an indispensable debugging and optimization tool.
- FreeRTOS+CLI is a RAM efficient and extensible command line interface for FreeRTOS™.
- FreeRTOS+CLI is a RAM efficient and extensible command line interface for FreeRTOS.
- FreeRTOS+TCP is a scalable, open source, and thread safe TCP/IP stack for FreeRTOS. FreeRTOS+TCP provides a familiar and standards based Berkeley sockets interface, making it as simple to use and as quick to learn as possible. An alternative callback interface is also available for advanced users.
- FreeRTOS+UDP is a small, fully thread aware, sockets based, and very efficient UDP/IP (IPv4) stack for FreeRTOS.