This Complete solution allows driving permanent magnet synchronous motors (PMSMs) and 3-phase brushless DC (BLDC) motors.
The EVSPIN32F0251S1 board is designed for evaluation purpose only. However, its gerber files can be used as reference design.
ST offers the EVSPIN32F0251S1 board, a complete 3-phase inverter based on STSPIN32F0251. They embed STD17NF25 MOSFETs in DPAK package, providing up to 4 A output current capability without additional heatsink.
EVSPIN32F0251S1 is compatible with the STM32 Motor Control Software Development Kit (MCSDK).
MCU for data computation is based on 32-bit ARM Cortex-M0 core STM32F031:
- Up to 48 MHz clock frequency
- 4-Kbyte SRAM with HW parity
- 32-Kbyte Flash memory with option bytes used for write/readout protection
- UART, I2C and SPI communication
Three-phase gate driver provides:
- High voltage rail up to 250 V
- 200/350 mA source/sink current
- Embedded bootstrap diodes
- Outstanding below-ground robustness (down to more than -100V)
- dV/dt transient immunity ±50 V/ns
- Gate driving voltage range from 9V to 20V
Signal conditioning circuits:
- Overcurrent comparator
Figure 1. Schematic block of STSPIN32F0251
- Input voltage from 20 V to 120 V DC/AC
- STD17NF25 MOSFETs power stage featuring:
- VDS = 250 V
- RDS(on) max.= 0.165 Ω
- Overcurrent threshold set to 16 Apeak
- Dual footprint for IGBT/MOSFET package:
- PowerFlat 6x5
- Single-shunt current sensing, suitable for:
- Sensored or sensorless 6 steps algorithm
- Single-shunt vector (FOC) algorithm
- Smart shutdown overcurrent protection
- Digital Hall sensors and encoder input
- Bus voltage sensing
- 15 V VCC and 3.3 V VDD supplies
- Embedded ST-LINK/V2-1
- Easy user interface with buttons and trimmer
- RoHS compliant
Signal Conditioning & Protection
Power & Energy Management
The EVSPIN32F0251S1 board is a 3-phase complete inverter based on the STSPIN32F0251 controller, which embeds a 3‑phase 250 V gate driver and a Cortex®‑M0 STM32 MCU. The power stage features STD17NF25 MOSFETs, but can be populated with any IGBT or Power MOSFET in DPAK or powerFLAT 6x5 package.
The board has a single-shunt sensing topology, and both the field-oriented control (FOC) and sensored or sensorless 6‑step control can be implemented. This allows driving permanent magnet synchronous motors (PMSMs) and brushless DC (BLDC) motors.
The evaluation board is compatible with a wide range input voltage from 20 V to 120 V DC/AC, and includes a power supply stage with the VIPER013BLS in buck configuration to generate +15 V and +3.3 V supply voltage required by the application.
Debug and configuration of FW can be performed with standard STM32 tools through the detachable STLINK‑debugger. SWD and UART TX‑RX connectors are also available.
- High density integration – significant BOM reduction
- Enhanced immunity to EMI
- Variety of protection (UVLO, Interlocking and deadtime functions)
- Standby mode for low power consumption
- Easy to run