STM32Cube is an STMicroelectronics original initiative to significantly improve developer productivity by reducing development effort, time and cost. STM32Cube covers the whole STM32 portfolio.
STM32Cube includes STM32CubeMX, a graphical software configuration tool that allows the generation of C initialization code using graphical wizards.
It also comprises the STM32CubeF4 MCU Package composed of the STM32Cube hardware abstraction layer (HAL) and the low-layer (LL) APIs, plus a consistent set of middleware components (RTOS, USB, FAT file system, Graphics and TCP/IP). TouchGFX graphic software stack is also included in the STM32CubeF4 MCU Package as a part of the STM32Cube ecosystem. It is available free of charge for production and redistribution on STM32 microcontrollers. All embedded software utilities are delivered with a full set of examples running on STMicroelectronics boards.
The STM32Cube HAL is an STM32 embedded software layer that ensures maximized portability across the STM32 portfolio, while the LL APIs make up a fast, light-weight, expert-oriented layer which is closer to the hardware than the HAL. HAL and LL APIs can be used simultaneously with a few restrictions.
Both the HAL and LL APIs are production-ready and have been developed in compliance with MISRA-C®:2004 guidelines with some documented exceptions (reports available on demand) and ISO/TS 16949. Furthermore, ST-specific validation processes add a deeper-level qualification.
STM32CubeF4 gathers in one single package all the generic embedded software components required to develop an application on STM32F4 microcontrollers. Following STM32Cube initiative, this set of components is highly portable, not only within the STM32F4 Series but also to other STM32 Series. In addition, the low-layer APIs provide an alternative, high-performance, low-footprint solution to the STM32CubeF4 HAL at the cost of portability and simplicity.
HAL and LL APIs are available in open-source BSD license for user convenience.
- Consistent and complete embedded software offer that frees the user from dependency issues
- Maximized portability between all STM32 Series supported by STM32Cube
- Hundreds of examples for easy understanding
- High quality HAL and low-layer API drivers using CodeSonar® static analysis tool
- TouchGFX graphics software stack
- STM32F4-dedicated middleware including USB Host and Device, and TCP/IP
- Free user-friendly license terms
- Update mechanism that can be enabled by the user to be notified of new releases