Dual-core, multi-protocol wireless STM32WB microcontrollers, supporting Bluetooth® LE, Zigbee® and Thread® connectivity
Based on an Arm® Cortex®‐M4 core running at 64 MHz (application processor) and an Arm Cortex‐M0+ core at 32 MHz (network processor), STM32WB wireless microcontrollers support Bluetooth LE 5.2 and IEEE 802.15.4 wireless standards such as Zigbee and Thread.
Bluetooth Low Energy
Bluetooth Low Energy RF transceiver comes with certified Bluetooth™ LE 5.2 radio stack, profiles from the Bluetooth SIG, Mesh profile-compliant V1.0 Bluetooth SIG release.
A BLE LLD for proprietary protocols or a host controller interface (HCI) for Bluetooth Low Energy solutions supporting either Zephyr or Arm Cordio stack, address various integration needs.
IEEE 802.15.4 standards, Zigbee, Thread
The generic IEEE 802.15.4 MAC layer ensures the STM32WB can run proprietary protocols or full stacks, including Zigbee PRO 2017 and low-power OpenThread Mesh networking protocols, giving designers even more options for connecting devices to the Internet of Things (IoT). Different certified configurations are available to provide more freedom in terms of device sizing and OTA capability, to enable platform optimization.
STM32WB can support entire network topologies with an optimized footprint: Zigbee RFD and FFD deliveries cover end-device to coordinator and router roles; Thread MTD, FTD and Border Router deliveries cover from sleepy end-device to router and leader roles, thereby also enabling gateway infrastructures.
STM32WB MCUs can also run Bluetooth LE 5.2 with 802.15.4 wireless protocols, Zigbee and OpenThread protocols in concurrent modes (Bluetooth LE and Zigbee or Bluetooth LE and OpenThread) for more convenient device management during installation, and configuration once deployed. This concurrent feature significantly increases the ease-of-use and overall user experience of these combined technologies.
The innovative architecture of STM32WB MCUs is based on two totally independent cores, optimized for real-time execution (radio-related software processing) and enables flexible resource use as well as power management for a lower BOM cost and a better user experience.
Developed with the same technology as our ultra-low power STM32L4 microcontrollers, the STM32WB MCU series provides the same digital and analog peripherals suitable for applications requiring an extended battery life and complex functionalities.
- STM32WBx5 wireless microcontrollers, available in multiple packages and different memory sizes, provide users with enhanced performance and flexibility to address different levels of complexity.
- The STM32WBx0 Value Line focuses on the essentials and offers a feature-optimized, cost-effective solution for developers.
- The STM32WBxM line of modules offers the same feature set as the STM32WBx5 line. The module integrates the full reference design in a small LGA86 package (7 x 11.3 mm) and offers a wide certification coverage.
- The STM32WBx5 line includes a wide variety of communication features including a practical crystal-less USB 2.0 FS interface, audio support, an LCD driver, touch sensing, up to 72 GPIOs, an integrated SMPS to optimize power consumption optimization, and multiple low-power modes to maximize battery life.
- The STM32WBx0 Value Line enables entry-level solutions and features an optimized peripheral set with a reduced temperature range.
- The STM32WBxM module offers the same features as the STM32WBx5 MCUs. It is fully certified for all protocols and EMC compliance for major geographical markets. The module's adjustable pinout configuration provides flexibility to manufacturers in their design, since they can choose to use the basic feature set to lower the manufacturing costs of entry-level devices, or the full pinout for high-end devices.
This product portfolio of 2.4 GHz wireless STM32 MCUs provides integrated solutions from product definition, to the prototyping phase, up to the final platform definition.
Security & ID
In addition to its wireless and ultra-low-power features, STM32WB microcontrollers embed security features which reduce device maintenance needs and ensure end devices are trustable and cannot be cloned.
STM32WB microcontrollers include embedded security hardware functions such as 256-bit AES hardware encryption, PCROP read/write protection, JTAG fuse, and public-key cryptography with an elliptic curve encryption engine. The Firmware Upgrade Services (FUS), PCROP and PKA feature ensure secured wireless stack updates, encryption key management and code protection.
The Customer Key Storage (CKS) feature ensures application code and IP protection.
The STM32WB55 Nucleo pack, STM32WB Nucleo boards and STM32WB Discovery board combined with the STM32Cube Ecosystem form a consistent set of hardware and software development tools to quickly and easily start developing your application.
The pack includes the STM32WB55 Nucleo-64 and a USB dongle, both based on the STM32WB microcontroller, to immediately get started while enabling a wide range of wireless applications.
The STM32WB5MM-DK discovery board embeds the STM32WB module on top of suitable peripherals for IoT applications like Touch sensing, external flash, Audio chain to ease a complete end device application development.
Fully integrated in the market-proven STM32Cube ecosystem, the STM32WB evaluation boards comes with a comprehensive set of embedded software resources and development tools.
The STM32CubeWB MCU Package is a one-stop-shop solution for embedded software resources and features HAL and LL peripheral drivers, a full set of middleware and radio stacks (Bluetooth 5.2, OpenThread and Zigbee) together with various preconfigured software examples for several popular IDEs such as Keil MDK-Arm and IAR Systems.
The STM32WB series is compatible with the STM32CubeMX MCU initialization, configuration and code generation tool, and with STM32CubeMonRF software to test, monitor and validate RF performance whatever the protocol.
In addition to an on-board debugger that helps develop and test applications based on existing examples, the STM32WB evaluation boards offers many internal power-supply options, including the ST-LINK USB connector and a long-lasting battery cell and can also be powered-up using external sources.