The STWBC-MC transmitter and the STWLC33 receiver are 15 W wireless charging solutions. Compatible with the Qi 1.2 Extended Power Profile protocol, they offer a complete set up for medical devices, smartphones, and tablets, among many others. The time when wireless charging was an optional feature in a niche market is over. It is something the public actively looks for because the technology is ubiquitous, meaning that omitting it is now the exception rather than the norm. However, adding wireless charging can be complicated and a mistake could ruin a product’s power efficiency, or even cause malfunctions. Hence, a complete solution made of the STWBC-MC and the STWLC33 is a game changer because it brings all the glory of this sought-after technology and none of its headaches.
The STWBC-MC is the digital controller for the wireless battery charger (WBC) transmitters (TX) from STMicroelectronics optimized for the extended power profile (EPP) Wireless Power Consortium (WPC) multi-coil applications up to 15 W.
It offers the most flexible and efficient solution for controlling the power transfer to a receiver (RX) in WBC-enabled applications such as smartphones, tablets and other battery-powered devices that use the electromagnetic induction for recharging.
The STWBC-MC is capable of bidirectional communication with the RX as specified by the WPC 1.2 protocol.
- Qi 3-coil 15W wireless charger TX evaluation kit based on STWBC-MC (STEVAL-ISB047V1)
- The associated STWBC-MC firmware (STSW-ISB047FW)
- A graphical user interface (STSW-STWBCGUI) to help debug and configuration
- A firmware downloader utility (STSW-STWBCFWDT) is also available.
The STWLC33 multi-mode wireless power receiver with transmitter function ensures the highest efficiency with the lowest part count and system cost. Compatible with Qi 1.2 or AirFuel inductive communication protocols, it can be switched to transmitter mode to provide power to another receiver.
- A dual-mode inductive wireless charger receiver with transmitter function evaluation board (STEVAL-ISB042V1)
- A graphical user interface (STSW-ISB042GUI)
The STWBC family of transmitter ICs performs all the functions for transmitter control, ensuring compliancy with the leading standards in the market and providing customers with a turnkey Qi-certified solution, for a fast go-to-market strategy, or with an environment to build personalized solutions. Efficient power transfer is enhanced by a smart standby state while waiting for a receiver, which guarantees a power consumption as low as 3 mW while maintaining the foreign object detection (FOD) function active for maximum safety.
The STWLC33 is an integrated wireless power receiver solution suitable for portable applications up to 15 W. The STWLC33 is able to operate with Qi 1.2 or AirFuel inductive communication protocol. It can be switched to transmitter mode to provide power to another receiver. Thanks to the integrated low impedance synchronous rectifier and low drop-out linear regulator, the STWLC33 achieves high efficiency, low power dissipation. I2C interface allows many parameters to be customized in the device and this configuration can be stored in the embedded NVM.
- Transmitter side:
- STWBC-MC digital controller
- MP-A8 3-coil array
- 15W output power
- Flexible input voltage: 5V to 20V from USB-C or DC jack
- 5W mode when connected to 5V USB input or DC jack
- Fixed frequency operation
- WPC Qi1.2.4 standard compliant
- Robust demodulation algorithm, with triple path (V, I, f)
- Foreign Object Detection (FOD)
- Active presence detection
- UART protocol to control and monitor the system
- Complete reference design (evaluation board, schematics, PCB layout, Firmware and tools)
- 2-layer PCB
- Low standby power consumption
- Flash memory based
- CE certified
- ROHS compliant
- Receiver side:
- STWLC33 evaluation board with Würth Elektronik dual mode coil (760308102207)
- Qi 1.2 compliant, supporting extended power profile: up to 15 W/10 V maximum output power
- Backward compatible with Qi baseline power profile: up to 5 W/5 V maximum output power
- PMA-SR1 (AirFuel inductive) compliant: 5 W/5.6 V maximum output power
- Transmitter function based on Qi protocol to charge wearable devices using the same Rx coil (up to 3 W power)
- Total system efficiency up to 80%
- Configurable GPIOs for status indication
- I²C interface for communication with the host system
- Foreign object detection (FOD)
- Complete kit (IC, firmware)
- RoHS compliant