Environment, Health & Safety regulations are applied in ST worldwide. Our list of regulated chemicals meets the regulations of the countries where we are located and reflects agreed customer requirements.
ST complies with all laws and regulations regarding material declaration and the elimination of chemical and hazardous substances used in products and manufacturing. This includes
- RoHS, REACH and ELV: ST meets applicable worldwide product environmental regulations and requirements related to our products and services, including those stipulated by the European Union on the Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS), the European Union on the Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) and on the End of Life of Vehicles (ELV).
- Lead-free: ST devices are qualified to ensure their resistance to the soldering temperatures for tin-lead solder requested by PC board mounting. ST is a member of the DA5 consortium which seeks to standardize solutions for lead-free solders for attaching dies to packages during manufacturing.
- Material declaration: ST has adopted the IPC-1752 standard for reporting declarable substances and material groups. The ST list of banned, exempted and declarable substances is regularly reviewed to include regulations and customer requirements and ensure our suppliers respect our rules regarding the use of chemicals and hazardous substances.
- ECOPACK®The voluntary ECOPACK® program started in 2000 to remove polluting and hazardous substances from our products. We meet all applicable requirements such as REACH, RoHS and ELV, developing solutions that eliminate RoHS chemical compounds from our manufacturing lines and products.
ST products are therefore classified according to the following ECOPACK® grades:
- ECOPACK® or ECOPACK®1: Compliant with the RoHS directive, have second level interconnect lead free (with adapted reliability for soldering at higher temperature) and compliant with the ELV Directive
- ECOPACK®2: ECOPACK®1 + free of brominated, chlorinated and antimony-oxide flame retardants
- ECOPACK®3: ECOPACK®2 + free of halogens with no RoHS exemptions
ST anticipates compliance with laws and regulations regarding material declaration and the elimination of chemical and hazardous substances from its products and manufacturing processes. Changes that may derive from such evolution and that impact our products are communicated to our customers through the change management process.