In order to comply with legislation and customer requirements regarding the exclusion of certain chemical substances from our products, each ST product is accompanied by a ‘Materials Declaration’ form which publicly discloses the substances included in the chip. We are able to achieve this internally through our Banned Substances specification, which maintains an updated list of all substances that must not be included in the product. This specification is rigorously implemented both internally in all of our manufacturing sites and in our supply chain.
You can read more on Materials Declaration here
You can read more on our management of chemicals in ST Supply chain here
The voluntary ECOPACK® program started in 2000 to remove polluting and hazardous substances from our products. We meet all applicable requirements such as REACH and RoHS, developing solutions that eliminate RoHS chemical compounds from our manufacturing lines and products.
ST products are therefore classified according to the following ECOPACK® grades:
- ECOPACK® or ECOPACK®1: Compliant with the RoHS directive and ‘lead free’ (with adapted reliability for soldering at higher temperature, as some exemptions are necessary mainly for the automotive market with regard to RoHS regulation),
- ECOPACK®2: ECOPACK®1 + free of brominated, chlorinated and antimony-oxide flame retardants
- ECOPACK®3: ECOPACK®2 + free of halogens with no RoHS exemptions
More recently the subject of Conflict-Free Minerals has been added to the list of major compliance initiatives due to the US Dodd Frank legislation requiring companies operating in the United States to demonstrate that their products do not contain certain minerals (Tin, Tantalum, Tungsten and Gold) that are sourced from mines operated by armed groups in conflict zones, notably the Democratic Republic of Congo, because of the violation of human rights that occurs in those circumstances.
You can read more on Conflict-free Minerals here
You can read more on how ST is managing compliance with the regulation here
Hazardous Substances Process Management (HSPM)
To strengthen our hazardous substances management with a focus on product, ST has decided to align its processes with the IECQ1 QC 080000 Hazardous Substances Process Management System Requirements (HSPM) standard.
A working group, co-sponsored by our Corporate Sustainable Development and Corporate Product Quality departments, is currently defining the steps and actions necessary to progressively align ST’s management systems to the HSPM requirements. We aim to ensure that our processes and management systems, from product design and development through to engineering, purchasing, manufacturing, warehousing and dispatch, will be compliant, robust and effective with regard to hazardous substances in products.
Product Compliance Objectives
- ECOPACK®2 (ROHS compliant with exemptions+ Halogen authorized) : 90% of new packages implemented in ECOPACK®2 by the end of 2014
- ECOPACK®2 (ROHS compliant with exemptions+ Halogen authorized) : 95% of products in ECOPACK®2 in financial value by the end of 2015
- ECOPACK®3 (halogen-free and no RoHS exemption): 25% of new packages implemented in ECOPACK®3 by the end of 2015