The VL6180X is the latest product based on ST’s patented FlightSenseTMtechnology. This is a ground-breaking technology allowing absolute distance to be measured independent of target reflectance. Instead of estimating the distance by measuring the amount of light reflected back from the object (which is significantly influenced by color and surface), the VL6180X precisely measures the time the light takes to travel to the nearest object and reflect back to the sensor (Time-of-Flight).
Combining an IR emitter, a range sensor and an ambient light sensor in a three-in-one ready-to-use reflowable package, the VL6180X is easy to integrate and saves the end-product maker long and costly optical and mechanical design optimizations.
The module is designed for ultra low power operation. Ranging and ALS measurements can be automatically performed at user defined intervals. Multiple threshold and interrupt schemes are supported to minimize host operations.
Host control and result reading is performed using an I2C interface. Optional additional functions, such as measurement ready and threshold interrupts, are provided by two programmable GPIO pins.
- Three-in-one smart optical module
- Proximity sensor
- Ambient Light Sensor
- VCSEL light source
- Fast, accurate distance ranging
- Measures absolute range from 0 to above 10 cm
- Independent of object reflectance
- Ambient rejection
- Crosstalk compensation for cover glass
- Gesture recognition
- Distance and signal level can be used by host system to implement gesture recognition
- Demo systems (implemented on Android smartphone platform) available.
- Ambient light sensor
- High dynamic range
- Accurate/sensitive in ultra-low light
- Calibrated output value in lux
- Easy integration
- Single reflowable component
- No additional optics or gasket
- Single power supply
- I2 C interface for device control and data
- Two programmable GPIO
- Window and thresholding functions for both ranging and ALS
- Smartphones/portable touchscreen devices
- Tablet/laptop/gaming devices
- Domestic appliances/industrial devices