STM32 F4 series of high-performance MCUs with DSP and FPU instructions
The ARM® Cortex™-M4-based STM32 F4 series is an extension of the industry-leading STM32 portfolio towards even higher performance. Like the STM32 F2 series, these MCUs leverage ST’s 90 nm NVM technology and ST’s ART Accelerator™ to reach the industry’s highest benchmark scores for Cortex-M-based microcontrollers with up to 225 DMIPS/608 CoreMark executing from Flash memory at up to 180 MHz operating frequency.
The DSP instructions and the floating point unit enlarge the range of addressable applications. ST’s 90 nm process, ART Accelerator and the dynamic power scaling enable the current consumption in run mode and executing from Flash memory to be as low as 137 µA/MHz on the STM32F401 (up to 84 MHz), 238 µA/MHz on the STM32F405/415/407/417 (up to 168 MHz) and 260 µA/MHz on the STM32F42x/43x (up to 180 MHz).
The STM32 F4 series is the result of a perfect symbiosis of the real-time control capabilities of an MCU and the signal processing performance of a DSP, and thus complements the STM32 portfolio with a new class of devices, digital signal controllers (DSC).
The series consists of five product lines which offer close pin-to-pin, peripheral and software compatibility.
- STM32F401 – 84 MHz CPU/105 DMIPS, entry level of the STM32 F4 series, offering a cost-effective solution with outstanding power efficiency in Run and Stop modes, and smallest form factor packages versus the other members of the STM32 F4 series
- STM32F405/415 – 168 MHz CPU/210 DMIPS, up to 1 Mbyte of Flash with advanced connectivity and encryption
- STM32F407/417 – 168 MHz CPU/210 DMIPS, up to 1 Mbyte of Flash adding Ethernet MAC and camera interface to the STM32F405/415
- STM32F427/437 – 180 MHz CPU/225 DMIPS, up to 2 Mbytes of dual-bank Flash with SDRAM interface, Chrom-ART Accelerator™, serial audio interface, and more performance and lower static power consumption versus the STM32F407/F417; the STM32F427/437 also provides more connectivity and encryption features than the STM32F407/F417
- STM32F429/439 – 180 MHz CPU/225 DMIPS, up to 2 Mbytes of dual-bank flash adding an LCD-TFT controller to the STM32F427/437, with more GPIOs and features on larger packages