ST’s sensor portfolio includes MEMS (microelectromechanical sensors including accelerometers, gyroscopes, digital compasses, inertial modules, pressure sensors and microphones), temperature sensors and touch sensors. With more than 3 billion microelectromechanical sensors shipped to customers up to early 2013, ST leads the consumer and mobile MEMS market (source: IHS, MEMS H2 2012 special report).
- A unique sensor portfolio, from discrete to fully-integrated solutions, to fulfill every design need
- High-volume manufacturing capacity to provide cost-competitive solutions, fast time-to-market and security of supply
- High performance sensor fusion to improve the accuracy of multi-axis sensor systems in order to enable new emerging and highly-demanding applications, such as indoor navigation and location based services
- High-level quality products, already tested in different application fields, including mobile, portable, gaming, consumer, automotive and health care (more than 2.5 billion pieces shipped worldwide)
- Multiple dedicated sites to MEMS foundry, assembly and testing lines, with in-house complete dual source
Complete HW and SW solution for Windows 8®
Windows 8 natively supports sensors through sensor device driver (DDI), sensor API and HID sensor class driver.
ST offers a complete solution to be used with Windows 8 with flexible combinations of multi-axis sensors, including ST’s gyroscopes and e-compasses, pressure sensors, proximity and ambient light sensors.
In terms of motion MEMS, ST can support different system partitioning with 3 and 6 axes or multi-chip sensor modules with up to 9 axes in a single package.
The sensor systems can be combined either in a hardware solution, with an ARM Cortex based STM32 MCU acting as a sensor hub processing the sensor signals or in a software solution, where the sensor fusion is performed in the application processor of the Windows 8 device.
The supplied software contains support for the HID protocol over I²C/USB and the iNEMO engine, providing a smart fusion algorithm ensuring high-precision motion detection.
ST’s evaluation platform, the STEVAL-MKI119V1, is available to kick-start your Windows 8 application design.