STMicroelectronics Creates World’s First Set-Top-Box Platform That Supports Android TV 5.0 Lollipop
Geneva / 04 Nov 2014
STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM), a global semiconductor leader serving customers across the spectrum of electronics applications and a leading manufacturer of Systems on Chips (SoCs) for High-Definition (HD) and Ultra-High-Definition (UHD) set-top-boxes, today announced the availability of the world’s first STB (Set-Top Box) platform with Google’s Android TV based on Android 5.0 Lollipop.
With the new platform, users will be able to enjoy Android TV along with the complete Android ecosystem, including popular Android games, applications, and services. This is possible because of the unique security mechanisms that are embedded in the ST SoC devices combined with state-of-the-art decoding, transcoding, and graphics processing.
The STiH412-based Android 5.0 platform is now available for deployment, replete with the most advanced set–top-box features, including:
- Multi-decode HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) combined with ‘Picture in Picture’ support;
- A specific SoC architecture combining state-of-the-art graphic capabilities and highly efficient offload processors to optimize the gaming experience and enable 3D user interfaces running together with flawless ultra-high-definition video decoding;
- Transcode capability to distribute broadcast content on a smartphone, tablet or 2nd screen at home without consuming any of the broadband connection bandwidth;
- VP8 encoder to support Google Hangout™;
- Power efficiency for fan-less and small form-factor boxes.
“This new platform builds on ST’s success in deploying volume quantities of Android-based set-top boxes,” said Gian Luca Bertino, Executive VP, General Manager Digital Product Group, STMicroelectronics. “This puts ST in an ideal position to support the rapid deployment of the latest Android TV 5.0 Lollipop version in a compelling offer for Pay-TV operators.”
For further information please visit our Server and Gateway processors webpage.
ST is a global leader in the semiconductor market serving customers across the spectrum of sense and power and automotive products and embedded processing solutions. From energy management and savings to trust and data security, from healthcare and wellness to smart consumer devices, in the home, car and office, at work and at play, ST is found everywhere microelectronics make a positive and innovative contribution to people's life. By getting more from technology to get more from life, ST stands for life.augmented.
In 2013, the Company’s net revenues were $8.08 billion. Further information on ST can be found at www.st.com.