How can a Non-Volatile Memory make datalogging more efficient and accurate?
Millions of IoT devices make our homes, cities and industries smarter by detecting and recording events every day. This means NVMs need to collect, process and store significant amounts of data, enabled by datalogging functions.
By offering a flexible high-density memory with an easy set of instructions combined with high endurance, Page EEPROM improves read/write instructions in datalogging functions, while ensuring data integrity.
Simplified event recording and read/write instructions
- Data logging is the process of recording, updating, and storing values in a defined location over a period of time.
- Page EEPROM simplifies the write instruction, as it automatically erases data before programming the new values.
- The write instruction is very flexible as it can handle a single byte and a full page of content, depending on applications needs.
- The event recording function stores environmental data and operating parameters every time an event is detected.
- Page EEPROM speeds up the program instruction, as it bypasses the erase step and stores 512 bytes in 1ms
- The Page EEPROM buffer mode optimizes the storage time of big data blocks. The page program (PGPR) with buffer load instruction allows from one to 512 bytes of data, initially in the erased state (FFh), to be programmed. It also allows the buffer of 512 data bytes for the next page program operation to be loaded during page program execution. For more information on the buffer mode, download the technical note
- Event sectors and blocks can be cleared at any time thanks to very fast erase instructions that last for less than 5ms
Enabling intensive datalogging for more accuracy
- The datalogging frequency in NVMs impacts system accuracy. The Page EEPROM enables high frequency datalogging thanks to:
- SPI communication up to 80MHz that minimizes the communication time
- A high cycling endurance of 500k per page, which simplifies datalogging and eliminates the need for a complex wear levelling strategy.
- The NVM’s cycling performance, which enables 120 updates by day over 10 years on the same page without requiring any specific strategy.
High data reliability with embedded ECC
The Page EEPROM safeguards data integrity thanks to the embedded Error Code Correction feature. The ECC protects against singleand double-bit fails, as it can correct singleor double-bit errors and detect triple-bit errors. The data locations are submitted to high stress and can therefore become weak after a certain amount of time. The embedded ECC feature guarantees data retention for 10 years after cycling stress and is transparent for the user. Read more about the ECC feature.
The serial Page EEPROM combines a set of features, which make datalogging and event recording functions efficient and robust. Fast 80MHz SPI interface combined with flexible fast write and program instructions reduce data storage operations and execution times. The high cycling performance of 500K cycles per page simplifies datalogging, while the embedded ECC ensures data robustness during application lifetime.
Interested in using the Standard Serial Page EEPROM family for your ultra-low power applications?
- Check out the Standard Serial Page EEPROM product page to learn more about product benefits
- Get started on your prototype thanks to the new Page EEPROM Nucleo expansion board
- Learn more from ST experts and discover our live demo in the on-demand webinar
Order the M95P32 Page EEPROM here