The M41T11 is a low-power serial real-time clock (RTC) with 56 bytes of NVRAM. A built-in 32.768 kHz oscillator (external crystal controlled) and the first 8 bytes of the RAM are used for the clock/calendar function and are configured in binary-coded decimal (BCD) format. Addresses and data are transferred serially via a two-line bidirectional bus. The built-in address register is incremented automatically after each write or read data byte.
The M41T11 clock has a built-in power sense circuit which detects power failures and automatically switches to the battery supply during power failures. The energy needed to sustain the RAM and clock operations can be supplied from a small lithium coin cell.
Typical data retention time is in excess of 5 years with a 50 mA/h, 3 V lithium cell. The M41T11 is supplied in an 8-lead plastic small outline package or 28-lead SNAPHAT® package.
The 28-pin, 330 mil SOIC provides sockets with gold plated contacts at both ends for direct connection to a separate SNAPHAT housing containing the battery and crystal. The unique design allows the SNAPHAT battery package to be mounted on top of the SOIC package after the completion of the surface mount process. Insertion of the SNAPHAT housing after reflow prevents potential battery and crystal damage due to the high temperatures required for device surface-mounting. The SNAPHAT housing is keyed to prevent reverse insertion.
The SOIC and battery/crystal packages are shipped separately. For the 28-lead SOIC, the battery/crystal package (i.e. SNAPHAT) part number is “M4Txx-BR12SH”.
- Counters for seconds, minutes, hours, day, date, month, years and century
- 32 KHz crystal oscillator integrating load capacitance (12.5 pF) providing exceptional oscillator stability and high crystal series resistance operation
- Serial interface supports I2C bus (100 kHz protocol)
- Ultra-low battery supply current of 0.8 μA (typ. at 3 V)
- 2.0 to 5.5 V clock operating voltage
- Automatic switchover and deselect circuitry
- 56 bytes of general purpose RAM
- Software clock calibration to compensate crystal deviation due to temperature
- Automatic leap year compensation
- Operating temperature of –40 to 85°C
- Packaging includes a 28-lead SOIC and SNAPHAT®top (to be ordered separately; 3.3 V to 5.0 V supply voltage only)
- RoHS compliant
- Lead-free second level interconnect
RoHS Compliance Grade
(**) The Material Declaration forms available on st.com may be generic documents based on the most commonly used package within a package family. For this reason, they may not be 100% accurate for a specific device. Please contact our sales support for information on specific devices.