The IEC 60730-1 and IEC 60335-1 safety standards define the test and the diagnostic methods, effective to detect random hardware failures, that ensure the safe operation of hardware and software embedded in household appliances under control of electronic programmable devices.
With its X-CUBE-CLASSB functional safety package based on robust built-in STM32 safety features, STMicroelectronics provides a comprehensive set of certified software self-test libraries and documentation for manufacturers to significantly reduce the development efforts, time and cost to achieve the UL/CSA/IEC 60335-1 and the 60730-1 worldwide safety certifications for their STM32-based applications up to Class B level.
A set of test APIs focused on generic safety-critical core components (CPU, SRAM, Flash memory, clock and watchdog system) is provided exclusively in the firmware package. The associated examples suggest a possible integration of this set in a final application where simple code demonstrates sequential polling of the APIs and checking results of the perfomed partial tests.
Only the testing methods applied are the subject of the certification. The API integration provided, the extensions to the test of other application-specific core components, and the necessary configuration of all associated hardware through HAL drivers are inspected but not certified for safety. This is supposed to be subject to futher modification, extension and verification entirely under the end-user's responsibility (such as the replacement of HAL drivers with sequences calling LL drivers directly).
All the APIs and examples are delivered as open source, which leads to dependence on the compilers and HAL driver versions available at the time of the certification process. Users must consider this point when combining the certified API sources with their latest versions as described in the associated user manual.
The X-CUBE-CLASSB functional safety package consists of a set of expansion software for STM32Cube (self-test libraries and their integration examples), and a dedicated user guide, the application note Guidelines for obtaining UL/CSA/IEC 60730-1/60335-1 Class B certification in any STM32 application (AN4435).
Common safety principles described in the microcontroller series safety manuals, available with the X-CUBE-STL functional safety package, are mostly applicable as well, despite the fact that these manuals target different industry-oriented standards. This is due to the significant overlay between these safety standards.
- X-CUBE-CLASSB version 2.2.0 supports the STM32L0 Series, STM32L1 Series, STM32L4 Series, STM32L4+ Series, STM32F0 Series, STM32F1 Series, STM32F2 Series, STM32F3 Series, STM32F4 Series, and STM32F7 Series
- X-CUBE-CLASSB version 2.3.0 supports the STM32G0 Series, STM32G4 Series, STM32WB Series (Cortex®-M4 core only), and STM32H7 Series (Cortex®-M7 core only)
- X-CUBE-CLASSB version 2.4.0 supports the STM32L5 Series
- X-CUBE-CLASSB version 3.0.0 extends the package for dual-core microcontrollers commonly:
- Suitable when both embedded cores contribute to safety function
- Includes safety status exchange between cores
- Deals with internal resources overlay
- Certified upon STM32H7x7 dual-core microcontrollers
- Based on STM32Cube HAL
- Optimized portability among different microcontrollers through STM32Cube
- Partially optimized code
- Support for compilers associated with IAR Systems® IAR Embedded Workbench®, Keil® MDK-ARM, and GCC compiler-based integrated development environments such as STMicroelectronics STM32CubeIDE or SW4STM32
- Certified by UL®
- Coverage of worldwide standards (IEC, UL, CSA)