Since the early 90s, ST has been committed to supporting advances in narrow-band power-line communication (PLC) technologies that are now largely adopted by Automatic Meter Reading (AMR) and Automatic Meter Infrastructures (AMI) solutions at the heart of the smart grid concept.
Our large and expanding offer ranges from analog FSK transceivers with an integrated power-line driver to dual-core, multi-protocol, system-on-chip platforms with integrated power-line driver, analog front-end and AES encryption that supports B-FSK, B-PSK, Q-PSK, 8-PSK and OFDM modulations.
The fully-programmable, multi-core STCOMET integrates a programmable modem, the AFE, the power-line driver and the application micro-processor together with a fully-integrated smart meter SoC that embeds high-performance metrology functions.
To cope with the Smart Grid networks of the future, which will be multi-layered and multi-dimensional to manage the complexity of smart energy systems with bidirectional communication and power exchange between suppliers and consumers, the new ST8500 multi-standard, programmable and ultra-low power powerline communication platform, along with the STLD1 companion line driver, provides the highest performing, lowest power solution and flexibility for modular communication architectures.
Evaluation boards and software, together with certified protocol stacks, provide designers with a comprehensive development environment enabling easy integration into new and existing designs and shorter time to market.
Opens access to field-proven G3-PLC chipset
with voltage regulators enables unrivalled efficiency for KNX nodes
Integrates PLC modem, a high-performance application core & metrology functions
Programmable PLC modem integrated with a high-performance application core
Turnkey PLC chipset for smart-energy infrastructure
ST’s new powerline communication (PLC) platform consists of the ST8500 system-on-chip that includes a powerline modem, higher layer communication stack, PLC analog front end and other peripherals along with the STLD1 companion chip that provides the line driver (power amplifier) function.
Key features and benefits:
- Fully programmable real-time 400 MHz DSP and 200 MHz ARM® 32-bit Cortex®-M4F core, to meet today’s and the future’s smart grid requirements
- Ultra-low power-supply consumption <100 mW in Receive mode for the highest energy efficiency operations
- Embedded AES cryptography engine, supporting up to 256-bit security key and multi-security modes to satisfy the most stringent requirements in terms of data security
- Full 500 kHz bandwidth support for the best exploitation of worldwide bandwidth (CENELEC, ARIB, FCC)
- Operating temperature range up 105 °C suitable for critical applications