X-CUBE-CELLULAR consists of a cellular middleware, a set of projects (for various hardware setups), and an application example for STM32L4 Series microcontrollers acting as hosts for cellular connectivity applications. The STM32L4 Series microcontrollers are used for their low-power capabilities.
The LTE Cat M or NB-IoT modems with possible 2G fallback connect to the STM32 boards directly through an STMod+ adapter or by means of an ARDUINO® / STMod+ adapter.
Some hardware solutions such as the B-L462E-CELL1 embed a dedicated circuit like the ST4SIM-200M to enforce security. Some hardware solutions embed a pre-provisioned eSIM (EMnify, Truphone®).
The X-CUBE-CELLULAR Expansion Package enables users to connect to the Internet through the cellular network by using the provided baseline, and to accelerate their end-product design cycle.
Additional and regularly updated information, including supported hardware, is available from STMicroelectronics MCU wiki at wiki.st.com/stm32mcu. The release note available in the X-CUBE-CELLULAR Expansion Package provides an up-to-date list of supported hardware.
- STMicroelectronics framework for devices based on LPWAN cellular networks
- Compatible with multiple STM32 boards and various modems such as:
- the P-L496G-CELL02 cellular-to-cloud pack with the BG96 Quectel modem
- the B-L4S5I-IOT01A IoT Discovery board
- the B-L462E-CELL1 Discovery board powered by the Type 1SE Murata module (LBAD0ZZ1SE)
- FreeRTOS™ pre-integration for easy integration in a complete platform
- Easy portability across different STM32 microcontroller series by means of the STM32Cube ecosystem and STM32CubeMX initialization tool
- BSD-like socket APIs for data plane
- TCP-UDP/IP connectivity with IP stack on host or modem
- Flexible and modular software architecture for the easy integration of other modems
- Partial GSMA TS34/35 compliance
- Firmware customization: API key, APN, band
- Connected-application examples