Matter is an open-source standard, ensuring interoperability and hosted by the Connectivity Standards Alliance (CSA).
Matter ensures seamless interaction between connected smart homes and smart building devices across different IP technologies. The standard ensures that multiple brands can interact smoothly and securely ensuring data privacy.
The Matter application layer allows wide adoption by addressing many applications in an open-source delivery and certification infrastructure.
The roles of connected devices in a Matter network
- End devices are connected objects serving a final application like lights or door locks.
- Router/Bridges objects such as gateways route data from an end device, transferring it from one protocol to another (Wi-Fi to Thread for example).
- Controllers are devices such as smartphones or tablets used to commission an end device into a Matter network through Bluetooth® Low Energy.
How to bridge Matter to non-Matter technologies?
STM32 MCUs bridges Matter to any other technology like Zigbee. Many IoT devices support Zigbee and will now also enable Matter. Supporting such type of dual infrastructure requires a solution able to bridge the communication between Matter-based device and Zigbee-based devices.
The bridge device usually integrates high-performance MCUs with Ethernet capability to link connectivity products to the cloud.
The dual-core STM32H7 MCU offers the right features to address this role, as it can embed the Matter layer and translate it into the Zigbee protocol and vice versa.
STM32WB wireless MCU runs in Matter networks
The STM32WB is ideal for Matter networks because it can run concurrently Thread and Bluetooth® Low Energy used for device commissioning. It features 1 Mbyte of flash memory and 256 Kbytes of RAM to support application layer and connectivity stacks as well as Quad-SPI peripherals to extend the memory size externally. It allows over-the-air firmware updates, regardless of the application and the connectivity stack.
The STM32WB MCU is available on the NUCLEO-WB55RG and the STM32WB5MM-DK discovery board with sensors, external flash memory, a screen, and touch sensors.
Discover our portfolio
Several STM32 MCUs support Matter standard, and are suitable for different device types:
- The ST portfolio covers all Matter device types
- Low-power solutions for battery-operated devices
- Comprehensive ecosystem for rapid development
- Multiprotocol wireless support required for Matter
- Product quality assurance for longevity requirements