STM32Cube™ is an STMicroelectronics original initiative to make developers' lives easier by reducing development effort, time and cost. STM32Cube™ covers the whole STM32 portfolio.
STM32Cube™ includes STM32CubeMX, a graphical software configuration tool that allows the generation of C initialization code using graphical wizards.
It also comprises the STM32CubeF7 MCU Package composed of the STM32Cube™ hardware abstraction layer (HAL) and the low-layer (LL) APIs, plus a consistent set of middleware components (RTOS, USB, FAT file system, Graphics and TCP/IP). TouchGFX graphic software stack is also included in the STM32CubeF7 MCU Package as a part of the STM32Cube™ ecosystem. It is available free of charge for production and redistribution on STM32 microcontrollers.
All embedded software utilities are delivered with a full set of examples running on STMicroelectronics boards.
The STM32Cube™ HAL is an STM32 embedded software layer that ensures maximized portability across the STM32 portfolio, while the LL APIs make up a fast, light-weight, expert-oriented layer which is closer to the hardware than the HAL. HAL and LL APIs can be used simultaneously with a few restrictions.
Both the HAL and LL APIs are production-ready and have been developed in compliance with MISRA-C®:2004 guidelines with some documented exceptions (reports available on demand) and ISO/TS 16949. Furthermore, ST-specific validation processes add a deeper-level qualification.
The STM32CubeF7 gathers in one single package all the generic embedded software components required to develop an application on STM32F7 microcontrollers. Following STM32Cube™ initiative, this set of components is highly portable, not only within the STM32F7 Series but also to other STM32 Series. In addition, the low-layer APIs provide an alternative, high-performance, low-footprint solution to the STM32CubeF7 HAL at the cost of portability and simplicity.
HAL and LL APIs are available in open-source BSD license for user convenience.
- Consistent and complete embedded software offer that frees the user from dependency issues
- Maximized portability between all STM32 Series supported by STM32Cube
- Hundreds of examples for easy understanding
- High quality HAL and low-layer API drivers using CodeSonar® static analysis tool
- TouchGFX graphics software stack
- STM32F7-dedicated middleware including USB Host and Device, and TCP/IP
- Free user-friendly license terms
- Update mechanism that can be enabled by the user to be notified of new releases