X-CUBE-CELLULAR consists of a cellular middleware, a set of projects (for various hardware setups), and an application example for STM32 microcontrollers acting as hosts for cellular connectivity applications. The STM32 microcontrollers supported are chosen for their low-power capabilities.
The LTE Cat M or NB-IoT modems with possible 2G fallback connect to the STM32 boards directly through an STMod+ adapter or by means of an ARDUINO® / STMod+ adapter.
Some hardware solutions such as the B-L462E-CELL1 embed a dedicated circuit like the ST4SIM-200M to enforce security.
The X-CUBE-CELLULAR Expansion Package enables users to connect to the Internet through the cellular network by using the provided baseline, and to accelerate their end-product design cycle.
The cellular connectivity is achieved out-of-the shelf by means of a preprovisioned eSIM (Truphone®) embedded on some hardware version, or using a plastic SIM card that can be ordered from Sierra Wireless, an authorized partner member of the STMicroelectronics partner program.
Additional and regularly updated information, including supported hardware, is available from STMicroelectronics MCU wiki at wiki.st.com/stm32mcu. The release note available in the X-CUBE-CELLULAR Expansion Package provides an up-to-date list of supported hardware.
- STMicroelectronics framework for devices based on LPWAN cellular networks
- Compatible with multiple STM32 boards and various modems
- RTOS pre-integration for easy integration in a complete platform: Azure® RTOS and FreeRTOS™
- Easy portability across different STM32 microcontroller series by means of the STM32Cube ecosystem and STM32CubeMX initialization tool
- BSD-like socket APIs for data plane
- TCP-UDP/IP connectivity with IP stack on host or modem
- Flexible and modular software architecture to make the integration of other modems easier
- Partial GSMA TS34/35 compliance
- Firmware customization: APN, band
- Connected-application examples