The VL53L5 is a state of the art, Time-of-Flight (ToF), laser-ranging sensor enhancing the ST FlightSense product family. Housed in a miniature reflowable package, it integrates a SPAD array, physical infrared filters, and diffractive optics (DOE) to achieve the best ranging performance in various ambient lighting conditions with a range of cover glass materials.
The use of a DOE above the vertical cavity surface emitting laser (VCSEL) allows a square FoV to be projected onto the scene. The reflection of this light is focused by the receiver lens onto a SPAD array.
Unlike conventional IR sensors, the VL53L5 uses ST's latest generation, direct ToF technology which allows absolute distance measurement whatever the target color and reflectance. It provides accurate ranging up to 400 cm and can work at fast speeds (60 Hz), which makes it the fastest, multi-point, miniature ToF sensor on the market.
With patented algorithms and ingenious module construction, the VL53L5 is also able to detect different objects within the FoV with depth information at 60 Hz.
Scene browsing and multi zone detection is possible with the VL53L5 thanks to a software customizable detection array to achieve a quicker touch-to-focus or mini depth map.
- Fully integrated miniature module
- Emitter: 940 nm invisible vertical cavity surface emitting laser (VCSEL) and integrated analog driver
- 61 ° diagonal square system field of view (FoV) using diffractive optical elements (DOE) on both transmitter and receiver
- Receiving array of single photon avalanche diodes (SPADs)
- Low-power microcontroller running Firmware
- Size: 6.4 x 3.0 x 1.5 mm
- Fast, accurate distance ranging
- Parallel multi zone output; either 4x4 or 8x8 separate regions of interest (ROI)
- Up to 400 cm ranging
- 60 Hz frame rate capability
- Histogram processing and algorithmic compensation minimizes or removes impact of cover glass crosstalk
- Dynamic crosstalk compensation for fingerprint smudge via latest patented ToF techniques
- Easy integration
- Single reflowable component
- Flexible power supply options, single 3.3 V or 2.8 V operation or combination of either 3.3 V or 2.8 V AVDD with 1.8 V IOVDD
- Compatible with wide range of cover glass materials
- I²C or SPI interface
- Low-power pin and two general purpose inputs (GPIOs) for interrupt and synchronization
- Full set of software drivers (Linux and Android compatible) for turnkey ranging
- Fully integrated miniature module
Recommended for you
Product Specifications (1)
|Resource title||Latest update|
|20 Oct 2020||
20 Oct 2020
EDA Symbols, Footprints and 3D Models
STMicroelectronics - VL53L5
Speed up your design by downloading all the EDA symbols, footprints and 3D models for your application. You have access to a large number of CAD formats to fit with your design toolchain.
Quality and Reliability
|Part Number||Marketing Status||Package||Grade||RoHS Compliance Grade||Material Declaration**|
|OPTICAL LGA 5.35X2.95 16 PINS||Industrial||Ecopack2|
(**) The Material Declaration forms available on st.com may be generic documents based on the most commonly used package within a package family. For this reason, they may not be 100% accurate for a specific device. Please contact our sales support for information on specific devices.
Sample & Buy
|Part Number||Order from Distributors||Order from ST||Marketing Status||ECCN (US)||ECCN (EU)||Packing Type||Package||Temperature (°C)||Operating Range Distance (m) (max)||Package size (mm)||Country of Origin||Budgetary Price (US$)*/Qty||More info|
|VL53L5CAV0GC/1||No availability of distributors reported, please contact our sales office||
|EAR99||NEC||Tape And Reel||OPTICAL LGA 5.35X2.95 16 PINS||-20||85||4||5.35 x 2.95 x 1.40||CHINA||
Tape And Reel
OPTICAL LGA 5.35X2.95 16 PINS
Operating Temperature (°C)
Operating Range Distance (m) (max)
Package size (mm)
5.35 x 2.95 x 1.40
Budgetary Price (US$)* / Qty
Country of Origin