STM32L5 series of Ultra-low-power MCUs
Security has emerged as one of the 3 key areas that developers of embedded and IoT applications are thriving to improve. The STM32L5 microcontroller series is the solution and provide a new optimal balance between performance, power and security. The STM32L5 MCU series harnesses the security features of the Arm Cortex-M33 processor and its TrustZone for Armv8-M combined with ST security implementation. ST-proprietary ultra-low-power technologies create a class-leading MCU for energy-conscious applications such as Internet of things (IoT), medical, industrial and consumer.
Offering up to 512 Kbytes of flash (dual bank) memory and 256 Kbytes of SRAM, the STM32L5 series of microcontrollers reaches an upgraded level of performance (443 CoreMark) thanks to this new core and a new ST ART Accelerator™ (supporting now also external memory).
The STM32L5 offers a large portfolio with 7 packages (from 48 to 144 pins) and supports up to 125°C ambient temperature.
A full set of security
- Flexible hardware and software secure isolations with TrustZone
- Enhanced security services: dedicated secure user memory space for Secure Boot, symmetric and asymmetric crypto accelerations, memory and IP protection, independent Read out protection between secure / non secure domains, active IO tamper detection, certified cryptolib, embedded Secure Firmware Install loader and ecosystem.
Best power consumption
- Energy benchmark
- 370 ULPMark-CP® score
- 54 ULPMark-PP® score
- 27400 SecureMark-TLS® score
- Embedded SMPS step down converter (optional)
- Best power consumption numbers with full flexibility:
- 17 nA in shutdown mode
- 3 µA in stop mode with full SRAM and peripheral states retention with 5µs wake-up time
- Down to 62 µA/MHz in active mode
Integration, size and performance
- Better responsiveness of the application:
- New Arm Cortex-M33 at 110 MHz performance: +20% versus Cortex-M4
- New ST ART Accelerator: working both on internal and external Flash (8 Kbytes of instruction cache)
- Achieving 165 DMIPS and 443 CoreMark scores
- High integration and innovation: large memory, USB Type-C w/power delivery controller, CAN FD
- Large portfolio: 7 packages type (LQFP48, QFN48, LQFP64, WLCSP81, LQFP100, UFBGA132 and LQFP144) for several options
As part of our embedded online event, we had the pleasure of filming with Reinhard Keil, a Senior Director of Embedded Tools at ARM.
This video is about the STM32L5, our recently announced ultra-low power microcontroller bringing a new security dimension. The STM32L5 is now in full production and all its ecosystem is available including hardware kits, software tools, firmware and all documentations of course. This is our first STM32 based on Cortex-M33 and its Trustzone and using specific ST security implementation - watch the video to find out more!
The STM32L5 is based on Arm® Cortex-M33 and TrustZone® technology combined with STMicroelectronics security implementation. On your STM32L562E-DK discovery board, TrustZone is disabled (factory setting) and you can develop as on any other STM32 device. This video shows how to enable TrustZone on STM32L562E-DK discovery using STM32CubeProgrammer and create, compile and debug or run a new project with STM32CubeIDE. It also shows how to open an example project delivered in STM32CubeL5 MCU Package, modify, compile and debug or run it. For further information, you can refer to AN5394 and AN5424 application notes.