SAFERTOS®, the safety critical RTOS from WITTENSTEIN high integrity systems.
WITTENSTEIN high integrity systems is an RTOS company that specializes in safety, producing and supplying real-time operating systems and software components to the medical, automotive, aerospace and industrial sectors.
SAFERTOS® is a pre-emptive, pre-certified real time operating system that delivers unprecedented levels of determinism and robustness to embedded systems.
Migrate from FreeRTOS
There is a clear and popular migration path from FreeRTOS to SAFERTOS. We provide a free manual detailing how to upgrade from the FreeRTOS kernel to SAFERTOS in straightforward steps.
Get it for free from the WHIS download centre www.highintegritysystems.com.
SAFERTOS is based on the functional model of FreeRTOS, however it has been completely redesigned by our team of safety experts. Our engineers took the FreeRTOS functional model, subjected it to a full HAZOP, identified all areas of weakness within the functional model and API, and generated a set of safety requirements. The resulting functional and safety requirements sets were put through an IEC 61508-3 SIL 3 development life cycle, the highest possible for a software only component, creating the SAFERTOS code base and Design Assurance Pack.
As FreeRTOS and SAFERTOS share the same functional model upgrading is easy. Many of our customers prototype using the FreeRTOS kernel, and convert to SAFERTOS at the start of their formal development phase.
Safety Built In
With an imperceptible boot time, SAFERTOS is the ideal choice for systems that need to respond quickly to safety events, when the system must be placed into a safe state in the shortest possible time.
SAFERTOS supports the definition and manipulation of MPU regions on a per task basis. This feature provides the tools allowing developers to add a degree of spatial separation between tasks, which used effectively, can help prevent tasks directly making unintentional or accidental access to incorrect memory regions.
SAFERTOS can be provided with integrated middleware and safety components, board support packages, and full support and training is available. Demonstrations and datasheets are free to download from the WITTENSTEIN high integrity systems’ website.
This product is supplied by a third party not affiliated to ST.
For complete and latest information on the specification and the purchased parts package, refer to the third party’s website www.highintegritysystems.com.
- Intrinsic self-verification routines
- MPU support
- 100% MC/DC coverage
- MISRA C compliant
- Migration path from FreeRTOS™;
- Full source code and design assurance pack
- Pre-certified to IEC 61508 SIL 3 for Industrial
- Pre-certified to ISO 26262 ASILD for Automotive
- Certifiable to FDA 510(k) / EN 62304 for Medical
- Supports DO178C for Aerospace
- Any number of tasks can be created – system RAM constraints are the limiting factor
- Each task is assigned a priority – any number of priorities can be used
- Any number of tasks can share the same priority – allowing for maximum application design flexibility
- The highest priority task that is able to execute (i.e. that is not blocked or suspended) will be the task selected by the scheduler to execute
- Supports time sliced round robin scheduling for tasks of equal priority
- Queues can be used to send data between tasks, and to send data between tasks and interrupt service routines
- Binary semaphores and counting semaphores make use of the queue primitive – ensuring code size is kept to a minimum
- Tasks can block for a fixed period
- Tasks can block to wait for a specified time
- Tasks can block with a specified timeout period to wait for events
- Task Notification Feature
- FPU support
- Definition and manipulation of MPU/MMU regions on a per task basis
- Run time statistics
- Software Timers
- Ultra-Low Power Mode Option