Stellar automotive microcontrollers: a safe, real-time solution for domain controllers
The first automotive microcontrollers to feature multiple Arm® Cortex®-R52 cores with on-chip non-volatile memory for safe, real-time performance, our Stellar MCUs provide advanced connectivity and security features to support the transition to service-oriented automotive system architectures.
A technology break-through that combines on-chip Phase Change Memory (PCM) with the advantages of 28 nm FD-SOI technology, and advanced packaging, multi-core Stellar MCUs can operate at frequencies up to 600 MHz while minimizing power consumption even in harsh, high-temperature environments.
The Stellar family of automotive MCUs support next-generation car architectures, which rely on broad “domain controllers” that enable the transition toward software- and data-oriented architectures by providing data fusion from connected sensors while reducing harness complexity and electronic-component weight.
Built on ST’s extensive know-how and strong track record in high-performance automotive MCUs, Stellar MCUs will complement the successful SPC5 Power Architecture® MCUs to manage the next generation of electronic systems.
Stellar MCUs comply with the automotive industry’s demanding ISO 26262 ASIL-D safety standard. In addition to Cortex-R52 cores with lockstep capabilities, these innovative MCUs feature a hypervisor for software separation and memory protection as well as additional safety mechanisms.
Major applications for Stellar MCUs include smart control for hybrid powertrain, the broad electrification of car systems with on-board chargers, battery-management systems and DC-DC controllers, as well as smart gateways, advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) and enhanced vehicle stability controls.
- Arm® Cortex®-R52 cores with lockstep capabilities and delivering real-time performance for functional safety
- ASIL-D for the highest integrity requirements defined by ISO 26262 standards
- Hypervisor for software separation and memory protection
- State-of-the-art Hardware Security Module (HSM) with support for EVITA Full security level profiles
- AEC-Q100 Grade 0-compliant Phase-Change Memory up to 40 Mbytes of PCM with data retention up to 165 °C
- Supports Software-Over-The-Air (OTA) updates to manage multiple firmware images
- Convenient eMMC and HyperBus™ interfaces for additional external storage
- Multi-bus routing across its rich set of automotive interfaces including Ethernet, CAN-FD and LIN, DSPI, and FlexRay for security and connectivity to time-sensitive car networks
- Guaranteed operation at temperatures from –40 up to 165 °C (junction)
- Virtualizer Development Kits (VDKs) are available for Stellar MCUs to accelerate the development of automotive electronic systems by enabling the move from physical to virtual testing.