STM32L0 series of ultra-low-power MCUs
The STM32L0 series is ST’s entry-level range of 32-bit ultra-low-power MCUs designed to achieve an outstandingly low power consumption level. The result is a genuine ultra-low-power MCU with the world’s lowest power consumption at 125 °C.
Since its mass market launch in February 2016, the STM32L0 MCU has become a reference in the industry, as it provides key features that save energy in battery-powered devices and in applications with an embedded energy-harvesting system.
- Gas and water meters are getting smarter thanks to the high-performance 32-bit Cortex-M0+ CPU combined with dynamic voltage scaling, an ultra-low-power clock oscillator and the internal LCD driver of the STM32L0x3 product line
- Consumer devices offer enhanced battery management and fast charging capabilities using the standalone peripherals of the STM32L0x2 USB crystal-less product line.
- Smoke detectors and fire alarms are becoming increasingly accurate thanks to the ultra-low-power analog comparators and fast 16-bit ADC (hardware oversampling) of the STM32L0x1 access line.
- For cost-sensitive devices, the STM32L0x0 value line reduces the total bill-of-material costs thanks to its embedded EEPROM memory
Other value-added features such as the “read while write” capability, dual-channel DAC, hardware encryption, and communication peripherals capable of operating in ultra-low-power mode wake up for an unrivaled trade-off between feature integration, performance and ultra-low-energy consumption.
STM32L0 MCUs have scored 244 in the standardized EEMBC™ ULPBench® tests that compare the efficiency of ultra-low-power microcontrollers.
Current consumption reference values:
- Dynamic run mode: down to 49 µA/MHz (with external DC/DC) and 76 µA/MHz (with LDO)
- Ultra-low power mode + full RAM + low power timer: 340 nA (16 wakeup lines)
- Ultra-low power mode + backup register: 230 nA (2 wakeup pins)
- Wake-up time: 3.5 µs
Discover the large and pin-to-pin compatible STM32 ultra-low-power portfolio. This offer covers more than 2 billion of applications like IoT, Industrial sensors, wearables & home automation.
This video is about the STM32L5, our recently announced ultra-low power microcontroller bringing a new security dimension. The STM32L5 is now in full production and all its ecosystem is available including hardware kits, software tools, firmware and all documentations of course. This is our first STM32 based on Cortex-M33 and its Trustzone and using specific ST security implementation - watch the video to find out more!
The STM32L5 is based on Arm® Cortex-M33 and TrustZone® technology combined with STMicroelectronics security implementation. On your STM32L562E-DK discovery board, TrustZone is disabled (factory setting) and you can develop as on any other STM32 device. This video shows how to enable TrustZone on STM32L562E-DK discovery using STM32CubeProgrammer and create, compile and debug or run a new project with STM32CubeIDE. It also shows how to open an example project delivered in STM32CubeL5 MCU Package, modify, compile and debug or run it. For further information, you can refer to AN5394 and AN5424 application notes.
Recommended for you
One billion of ultra-low-power MCU enabling power savings in homes, cities and industries around the world!
We have reached the milestone of one billion STM32L0 microcontrollers shipped to date, underlining the need for energy-friendly solutions in a wide range of applications. Find out more about our STM32L0 MCUs ecosystem:
Getting started with STM32L0
- Purchase a 32-pin or 64-pin Nucleo board, Discovery kit or Evaluation kit for STM32L0 MCUs. For low-power wireless solutions based on STM32L0, the STM32L0 LoRa® Discovery kit (B-L072Z-LRWAN1) and the low-power wireless Nucleo pack (P-NUCLEO-LRWAN1) are available.
- STM32L0 user can use the free license of Keil IDE environment MDK-ARM-STR and download the free STM32CubeL0 embedded software package containing the HAL, LL (low-layer) APIs, and middleware. Then install ST’s STM32CubeMX graphical software configuration tool that supports pinout configuration, code generation and a power consumption calculator. Start with one of the many examples provided or build your own project.