STMCube™ is an STMicroelectronics original initiative to ease developers’ life by reducing development efforts, time and cost. STM32Cube is the implementation of STMCube™ that covers STM32 microcontrollers.
STM32Cube includes the STM32CubeMX which is a graphical software configuration tool that allows generating C initialization code using graphical wizards. It also comprises the STM32CubeL4 platform composed of the STM32Cube HAL and the Low Layer (LL) APIs, plus a consistent set of middleware components (RTOS, USB, FatFS, graphics and STM32 touch sensing). All embedded software utilities come with a full set of examples running on STMicroelectronics boards.
The STM32Cube HAL is an STM32 embedded software stack that ensures a maximized portability across STM32 portfolio, while the LL APIs make up a fast, light-weight, expert-oriented layer which is closer to the hardware than the HAL. HAL and LL APIs can be used simultaneously.
Both the HAL and LL APIs are production-ready and have been developed in compliance with MISRA-C guidelines and ISO/TS 16949. On top of that, ST specific validation processes add a deeper-level qualification.
STM32CubeL4 gathers in one single package all the generic embedded software components required to develop an application on STM32L4 microcontrollers. Following STM32Cube initiative, this set of components is highly portable, not only within STM32L4 series but also to other STM32 series. In addition, the Low Layer APIs provide an alternative, high-performance, low-footprint solution to the STM32CubeL4 HAL at the cost of portability and simplicity.
STM32CubeL4 is fully compatible with STM32CubeMX code generator that allows generating initialization code. The HAL and LL APIs are available in open-source BSD license for user convenience.
- Consistent and complete embedded software offer that frees the user from dependency issues
- Maximized portability between all STM32 series supported by STM32Cube
- More than 100 examples for easy understanding
- High quality HAL using CodeSonar® static analysis tool
- High quality Low Layer APIs (LL) using CodeSonar® static analysis tool
- STM32L4-specific middleware including USB Host, USB Device and touch sensing library
- Free user-friendly license terms
- Update mechanism that can be enabled by the user to be notified of new releases