As a mainlined open-source Linux distribution, OpenSTLinux Distribution is a key element of the STM32 Embedded Software solution for STM32 multi-market multi-core microprocessors (MPU) embedding a single or dual Arm® Cortex®-A7 core.
Developers should note that OpenSTLinux Distribituion is not a specific, custom Linux distribution. By massively investing in mainlining the OpenSTLinux Distribution, ST demonstrates its dedication to:
- Accelerating the development of systems that needs high processing power, graphical support combined with power-efficient real-time control and high feature integration
- providing developers with an unprecedented level of support
- Seamless software migration during kernel upgrades
- Improving software quality and robustness as well as reducing risk
- Development resources allocated to new innovative functionalities at application level
- Reducing project time to market and cost
The OpenSTLinux Distribution contains:
- Linux board support package (BSP)
- Linux kernel
- Required drivers
- Secure bootchain based on Arm Trusted Firmware (TF-A) and Universal Boot Loader (U-Boot)
- Secure OS: Open Portable Trusted Execution Environment (OP-TEE)
- Application frameworks including the following Linux application frameworks (non-exhaustive list):
- Wayland display server protocol (Weston reference implementation)
- Gstreamer multimedia framework
- Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) libraries
To optimize each development phase of a project, ST offers software packages that let developers select the support that best meets their needs:
- Starter package (STM32MP1Starter) to quickly and easily start with any STM32MP1 microprocessor device
- Developer package (STM32MP1Dev) to add your own code on top of the STM32MP1 Embedded Software distribution
- Distribution package (STM32MP1Distrib) to create your own Linux® distribution as well as your own Starter and Developer packages
STM32CubeMX is part of the STM32Cube initiative designed to simplify and accelerate the development of applications for STM32 microcontrollers. STM32CubeMX offers the possibility to generate C projects using embedded software offers packages like CMSIS-Pack compliant software packs. Starting with the 6.0.0 revision, STM32CubeMX is delivered with STM32PackCreator, an STM32 pack creation graphical companion tool, whose main purpose is the creation of software packs.
MadeForSTM32™ is a new quality label delivered by ST, which is granted after an evaluation process. It helps engineers identify third party solutions with the highest level of integration and quality for the STM32 microcontrollers' ecosystem. MadeForSTM32™ is offered to members of the ST Partner Program who want to go one step further in our collaboration, with the overall objective of contributing to a high-quality STM32 ecosystem.
In this video we discussed with just a few of the partners who have solutions already working on the STM32MP1.